Water PH... Need some help

Umbra

heyo guys.

I would RREEAAALLYY like to know how I can lower my water's ph down to 7 (and stabilize it there) and under because my tapwater is about 8 ph with a kh of 4 and a gh of also about 4.

Note, I do not like active soil, I already have driftwood and Sphagnum peat moss is not affecting the PH by even a decimal. I also notice that my SS Gh/KH make my water tank water sometimes spike to 8 while it is normally around 7.7 (The tank has a kh of 5 but a gh of 7)

Any suggestions?

Please note, I will NOT suddenly just change my water parameters. I will do it over the course of a month or so. I don't want to put THAT much stress on my shrimpies and fish.

You could get yourself a RO System and use SS GH+ without KH+ that would lower your PH problem

1 hour ago, JonRon said:

You could get yourself a RO System and use SS GH+ without KH+ that would lower your PH problem

I actually already have an RO machine... and yeah, i guess that would be a good idea. Guess the next thing I will buy is  just the ss gh then... but won't the difference be quite minimal though? I mean, I just tested my well water and it has a Kh of around 15 (cant remember exactly) and it's Ph is stable at around 7.6 which is lower than my tap water which is around ph 8 with just a kh of 3.9 ish... To be honest... this confuses me a tad too much, lol :P

I am on the same boat as you. one of my tanks has a ph of 6.5 with Kh of 4. I use CO2 in that one.

the other two tanks I have have a KH~1 with a PH of 5.2 and 4.7 with no CO2

The confusing part for me is my tank with the PH of 4.7

15 hours ago, JonRon said:

I am on the same boat as you. one of my tanks has a ph of 6.5 with Kh of 4. I use CO2 in that one.

the other two tanks I have have a KH~1 with a PH of 5.2 and 4.7 with no CO2

The confusing part for me is my tank with the PH of 4.7

Lol, atleast you have acidic water :D It's very easy to make it alkaline... Just add sodium bicarbonate. (In a seperate container to test if it stays stable first)

Water chemistry is.... fascinating but often frustrating and weird...

The SS GH has a lower pH in RO water than the SS GH KH type. I have both and the Gh only has a much higher TDS value so I use at least a third less to get my desired values 

17 hours ago, jessaweeshrimp said:

The SS GH has a lower pH in RO water than the SS GH KH type. I have both and the Gh only has a much higher TDS value so I use at least a third less to get my desired values 

I thought so... thanks for letting me know, that was the confirmation I needed.

Archived