Sodium Copper Chlorophyllin in Spirulina Tabs

aotf

Hi all,

I picked up some Sera Spirulina Tabs for my shrimpos yesterday (saw a good deal, 27% spirulina, wanted to try them out) and checked the ingredients before putting any in the tank. Turns out there's a colorant called "sodium copper chlorophyllin" that I wanted some opinions on.

My guess is that it's totally fine and that the copper is in very minute levels and/or in a form that is not bioavailable or of concern for shrimp, but I figured I would see if anyone has any experience with it before throwing it in my tanks.

Thanks!

I did a quick search online and the FDA website has some interesting (and scary) info on this compound. I would check it out.   I'm not saavy enough to get the link on here.

3 hours ago, oem said:

I did a quick search online and the FDA website has some interesting (and scary) info on this compound. I would check it out.   I'm not saavy enough to get the link on here.

What's the scary info?
I also did some quick searching and it looks like it's naturally extracted chlorophyll that's undergone a couple changes and had the magnesium replaced by copper. The impact on humans seems like it would be very small (chlorophyll is fine, copper is fine in those doses). 
I have no idea what amount is too much for shrimp, though.

Archived