FS: Red Pintos (Zebra, Headspot, Red Belly, Culls) + Perfect Plants for Shrimp tanks

Ebichua

Got some gorgeous red pintos for sale. My pinto tank is strictly red pintos only. 

Patterns in this tank include head spots, zebra and red belly. 

IMG_0649.JPG.a7933c1ef1fd7d76d38c55519fd807f5.JPG

Shipping is free on orders over $100.

Red Pinto Singles:
Zebra - $13 ea
Belly - $10 ea
Head Spotted - $13 ea

Red Pinto Packages:

Set of 5 - $65 $60

Set of 10 - $125 $110

*PLEASE NOTE*

You will get random patterns if buying a set package. I will do my best to include a variety but is dependent on availability. Guaranteed to get at least two different patterns in each set. 

Red Pinto Culls:

Singles - $7

Set of 5 - $30

Set of 10 - $50

Pinto culls are offspring from my pinto colony that do not express pinto traits. Most are full white-ish/orange-ish/pink-ish bodied. They kinda look like red steels / red bolts to me. Some will look like Taiwan bees because they do not express common pinto patterns. Basically, anything that doesn't look like a "suitable" pinto to me results into being classified as a cull. 

Pictures of what culls look like below. 

IMG_0024_HEIC.jpeg.d4467e9a192dcc72f10cabf4f43745e4.jpegIMG_0023_HEIC.jpeg.5dbdab0db266ae084d85555a489eb821.jpegIMG_0022_HEIC.jpeg.3b5b3fbf048f6787c39032c3510fde26.jpeg

Plants available:

Mini xmas moss - $5/softball size

Hygrophila pinnatifida - $2/stem

Eleocharis vivipara - $5/10+ runners

Cryptocoryne nurii 'Pink Line' - $20

If interested, shoot me a PM or text me at (408)318-1082. I respond faster via text.

Shrimp will be available for pick up in San Francisco, CA.

Shipping is available via USPS priority mail.

S/H costs:

Plants only - $8.50

Shrimp (+ plants) - $15

Free shipping on orders over $100

Shipping shrimp costs more due to size and water weight.

Box and bag will be well insulated. No Heat or Cold packs. Please be mindful of your local weather to make sure they arrive safely to your home.

P.O.s provide free boxes and wall type non fiberglass fill insulation can be had at any Hardware store. Heat packs are cheap on E-bay or Kensfish.com 

Newspaper works well for filler. Bags (Poly & breather type) can be found on Aquabid too.

10 hours ago, Shrimp lady said:

P.O.s provide free boxes and wall type non fiberglass fill insulation can be had at any Hardware store. Heat packs are cheap on E-bay or Kensfish.com 

Newspaper works well for filler. Bags (Poly & breather type) can be found on Aquabid too.

Thanks! I bought supplies two nights ago and should arrive next week. I'll be able to ship within a week or two. 

On 11/4/2017 at 11:07 AM, Ebichua said:

I keep my pintos in full tap water. No additives added. 

Temp 72

ph <7

gh 3-5

TDS <200

That's awesome, do you know what the pH is? Are they on ADA or another buffering substrate?
I won't be the best candidate for this batch as I'm setting up a card tank right now (I'll start the DSM this week) but it's cool to know you're breeding pintos in SF tap.

4 minutes ago, aotf said:

That's awesome, do you know what the pH is? Are they on ADA or another buffering substrate?
I won't be the best candidate for this batch as I'm setting up a card tank right now (I'll start the DSM this week) but it's cool to know you're breeding pintos in SF tap.

If I recall correctly, my ph came out to be around 6.5. However, take this information with a grain of salt because it has been a while since I've tested my parameters. I just know it's <7. 

I use Amazonia aquasoil for all my tanks, which helps buffer the system. I have a taiwan bee tank with amazonia that has been running for almost 4 years now. Same soil, all tap water, no remineralizing and is still doing well. I'm going to try and do the same with this pinto tank. 

9 hours ago, Ebichua said:

If I recall correctly, my ph came out to be around 6.5. However, take this information with a grain of salt because it has been a while since I've tested my parameters. I just know it's <7. 

I use Amazonia aquasoil for all my tanks, which helps buffer the system. I have a taiwan bee tank with amazonia that has been running for almost 4 years now. Same soil, all tap water, no remineralizing and is still doing well. I'm going to try and do the same with this pinto tank. 

That's really impressive, I'm currently dealing with a tank that's less than a year old but the Amazonia is already burnt out and the pH is rising to 7.6+. My tap comes out around pH 8.5-9 (in SF, I don't know why) and there were some rocks in there probably pushing up the kH and wrecking the substrate, but it's a bit of a bummer.

If I recall correctly, my ph came out to be around 6.5. However, take this information with a grain of salt because it has been a while since I've tested my parameters. I just know it's  

Interesting, I’m here in SF too and find that water straight out of tap is ~8.5, letting it sit for 24-30 hours drops it down to ~7.5, and I guess your aquasoil is doing the rest bringing it down to under 7.

Curious how frequent and % are your water changes, and do you let the tap sit for a day before adding to the tank? Also how big is your tank? Great job getting these at tap params!

Once I move in a few months I’ll be interested in your stock to start a new colony and see if I can get the same success in tap as you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, ibebian said:

Interesting, I’m here in SF too and find that water straight out of tap is ~8.5, letting it sit for 24-30 hours drops it down to ~7.5, and I guess your aquasoil is doing the rest bringing it down to under 7.

Curious how frequent and % are your water changes, and do you let the tap sit for a day before adding to the tank? Also how big is your tank? Great job getting these at tap params!

Once I move in a few months I’ll be interested in your stock to start a new colony and see if I can get the same success in tap as you.

Wow, seriously? Where in SF are you guys located? This is rather strange news to me. When I lived in San Jose down south, I was getting tap out at 7.6 and CRS were definitely not liking it. I tried doing TBs and failed miserably. This was at least 4-5 years ago. However, I had friends in SF who successfully raised soft water fish and shrimp with their tap. So ever since I moved up here, I tried it out and bam, easily raised caridina species. My TB tank thrived and my pinto tank is thriving as well on just tap.

I do water changes roughly once a week, if I get lazy I will skip a week. I extract about 6 gallons of water per water change and they live in a 20 gallon long tank. 6 gallons takes out quite a lot of water, as the level goes down to about 50% of the tank. I don't let the tap sit. Just treat it with prime and it goes directly into the tank. 

10 hours ago, aotf said:

That's really impressive, I'm currently dealing with a tank that's less than a year old but the Amazonia is already burnt out and the pH is rising to 7.6+. My tap comes out around pH 8.5-9 (in SF, I don't know why) and there were some rocks in there probably pushing up the kH and wrecking the substrate, but it's a bit of a bummer.

You are using tap with amazonia? This is probably why its burning out quickly. If you use RO it will last for years...

23 minutes ago, Ebichua said:

Wow, seriously? Where in SF are you guys located? This is rather strange news to me. When I lived in San Jose down south, I was getting tap out at 7.6 and CRS were definitely not liking it. I tried doing TBs and failed miserably. This was at least 4-5 years ago. However, I had friends in SF who successfully raised soft water fish and shrimp with their tap. So ever since I moved up here, I tried it out and bam, easily raised caridina species. My TB tank thrived and my pinto tank is thriving as well on just tap.

I'm in SOMA. I've tested water elsewhere and talked to LFS employees and they all get that sweet pH7-7.5 range :( . Even getting it into range for neos is a challenge when I'm starting around pH9.

I made a brief foray into cards a while back, the golden bees did not appreciate it but my TTs are holding on and breeding slowly.

16 minutes ago, dazalea said:

You are using tap with amazonia? This is probably why its burning out quickly. If you use RO it will last for years...

That was a noobie mistake on my first tank before I understood how kH, pH, and buffering substrates interacted. Since learning more, I've heard the occasional SF local's story about using tap with Amazonia but I realize I don't have that luxury. I'm tearing it down next month, actually, to fix some of the issues I created (and plan on picking up some buce from a certain you-know-who ;) ).

On the limited buffering capacity of AS and others, it seems as though ebichua has the magic touch with 4 years of using straight SF tap!

Ebichua how many inches of aquasoil do you have on the 20?

1 hour ago, Ebichua said:

I use about a bag and a half in each tank. It's not very high, maybe 2 inches at most? 

I am interested in digging into this topic more, but perhaps on a different thread(?).

Agreed, I apologize for hijacking your sales thread.

Best of luck with this batch, I'll ping you when my tank is card ready and I'm hunting for some good-looking pintos.

2 hours ago, aotf said:

Agreed, I apologize for hijacking your sales thread.

Best of luck with this batch, I'll ping you when my tank is card ready and I'm hunting for some good-looking pintos.

Totally fine, I'm actually starting to get curious to what my ph is now, after hearing all your guys' stories. I guess I just never felt like I had to do anything with the water since they're breeding great. 

I just didn't want my thread getting shut down by mods for being off topic. If you'd like to discuss more about care parameters, you are more than welcome to text me or PM me. :) 

FINALLY got boxes. It took soooo long for USPS to deliver them to me! 

Updated with new packages and singles now available.

Anyway, shipping is now available for those who are interested and are not local to me. Please read my post for full details of my shrimp and shipping information.