what size are your shrimps?

nicpapa

Hi there.

I bought some yellows neo and are big , very big.

I keep two lines wiht yellows, golden back, and fire.

Mine shrimps are the half size of them, not only the yellows but all neos.

I dont think its genetics its something on food i think.

i feed them hikari algae wafers, glasgarten(  baby , bacter, and shrimp snacks), dernele crusta gran, mulbery leaves.

I feed shrimps every day, and some times twice a day.

I dont feed any protein maybe thats the key to get biger?

Interesting hypothesis.......I have a local friend that is trying to breed Red Cherry Shrimp for size.

I had not heard of Denerle Crusta Gran........looking at the product description it does state "contains high-quality proteins from aquatic animals"

3 hours ago, Shrimple minded said:

Interesting hypothesis.......I have a local friend that is trying to breed Red Cherry Shrimp for size.

I had not heard of Denerle Crusta Gran........looking at the product description it does state "contains high-quality proteins from aquatic animals"

I know that most shrimp food have proteins inside also hikari have protein inside , as the baby food, but i cannot figure  why my shrimp dont get biger...

I never try food that called it proteins food.

Tank size it doents mater...

I keep rcs in a 180 lt , 100 lt and in 10 lt , all the same small size.. also all tanks have diferents water  parameters from 2-3 kh 4-5 gh to 22 kh and 24 gh.

In hard water colors are beter , more solid  more red.

I take some photos on the phone , i ll post them .. .

orange , topaz, and mine yellow the bigest adult shrimp is arοund 1-1.2 cm, those i bought are 2-2.3 cm..

It looks like amano shrimp compare with mine shrimps....

some photos...

Photos from above are from the same hight, tank are same hight. Sorry for the photos are from my phone ...

new shrimps,i have and biger female...

IMG_20171107_182941.jpg.47fe7496f313bd97e7458a3227d09e5b.jpg

My yellows....

IMG_20171107_190108.jpg.a8f706227f144e95908b499dffb4b1c7.jpg.

Orange

IMG_20171107_183241.jpg.103afbd2aecadf242e7f01552340490c.jpg

I dont want to add topaz, are smaller...

From above 3 tanks shrimps..

IMG_20171107_190205.jpg.b452bd778337f5448579713d14cc7d57.jpg

IMG_20171107_190227.jpg.e49bb080cfae18b4e3b9d124047d25fa.jpg

IMG_20171107_190244.jpg.1baebb85c6c0f78150b5d171975f0299.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Colder water and lots of natural algae is key for size. I have a few cherries that somehow accidentally made their way into my goldfish pond and tank and survived and I have had multiple individuals pushing 2". Will try to find pics

4 hours ago, KapAquatics said:

Colder water and lots of natural algae is key for size. I have a few cherries that somehow accidentally made their way into my goldfish pond and tank and survived and I have had multiple individuals pushing 2". Will try to find pics

I am not entirely sure about cold water, but natural algae seems like the bingo. Tbh, you don't want to actually feed a lot of protein to you shrimps. Like the hikari pellets. I tried it with mine and they died a lot earlier. It makes their lifespan really short. Maybe it was just me and my own mistake. xD

3 hours ago, bobthesushiguy said:

I am not entirely sure about cold water, but natural algae seems like the bingo. Tbh, you don't want to actually feed a lot of protein to you shrimps. Like the hikari pellets. I tried it with mine and they died a lot earlier. It makes their lifespan really short. Maybe it was just me and my own mistake. xD

I dont think hikrari is the problem , i give them years now, and one friend feed them years before me.

I saw people , bought proteins foods, also baby food have protein inside.

One reason for get biger is when shrimps are in small numbers ,and tanks its big, but im not very sure that the biger tank its a reson.

In cold water , they grow slower...

Archived