Mr and Mrs Shrimp. Breeding/sexing confusion.

The first two photos are of one of my original orange neos. None of my original are berried, and I'm curious are they all one sex. 

I'm also curious now that I've added a second, and third ground of legitimately mixed (male and female) oranges, why no one is breeding. If anything, I would have guessed this is a female, based on the curved underbelly.

Next I'll add some photos of the three newest neos. Looks like two males and a female. One male is hiding behind the other (left side) 

Lastly, I'm not even sure what kind of shrimp this is.. but she has 3 legs, was just adopted from the streets of Russia and is named Rhea.

Thanks everyone!!

IMG_20171113_092026196.jpg

IMG_20171113_092034617.jpg

IMG_20171113_092103513.jpg

IMG_20171113_092041328.jpg

IMG_20171111_161741671.jpg

IMG_20171112_141157031.jpg

The first pictures are of a female shrimp.

They won't breed unless they're happy about the water they're in AND they are acclimated to it (which can take many weeks).

I had some imported Tangerine Tigers in my main tank that took close to two months for the first one to berry. Suddenly, all the females started berrying. Patience and stability are key.

28 minutes ago, Aquatic Athlete said:

Excellent! I have time, patience and can maintain water. I also have some smooth jazz and can set my light to a pink or purple tint...

I always had trouble keeping the rose-scented candles lit underwater.

17 hours ago, aotf said:

I always had trouble keeping the rose-scented candles lit underwater.

Use a high proof liquor. It aids in breeding, romance, underwater ignition and worse case scenario, you have one hell of a marinade.

UPDATE: My male shrimp are all zooming around the tank. Convienently, none of my original shrimp are zooming, and all my males are.. so I'm going to say my original shrimp were all female. 

The shrimp from the original two photos, seems to have a much deeper curve under her belly today. 

17 hours ago, Aquatic Athlete said:

Use a high proof liquor. It aids in breeding, romance, underwater ignition and worse case scenario, you have one hell of a marinade.

UPDATE: My male shrimp are all zooming around the tank. Convienently, none of my original shrimp are zooming, and all my males are.. so I'm going to say my original shrimp were all female. 

The shrimp from the original two photos, seems to have a much deeper curve under her belly today. 

Sounds like the jazz worked out just fine!

You're about to have a berried shrimp, hope it's one of the super orange ones!

39 minutes ago, aotf said:

Sounds like the jazz worked out just fine!

You're about to have a berried shrimp, hope it's one of the super orange ones!

Her underbelly is noticeably larger and more pronounced. Hoping it's her! She's a super orange.  

What's the turn around time from zooming males to visibly berried females?

IMG_20171114_121959815.jpg

48 minutes ago, Aquatic Athlete said:

Her underbelly is noticeably larger and more pronounced. Hoping it's her! She's a super orange.  

What's the turn around time from zooming males to visibly berried females?

In my experience, usually a couple hours. They've got to find her, do the deed, and then she has to go hide somewhere and squeeze out the eggs into her pleopods.
I'd say there's a really good chance you'll have a berried female by the end of the day.

36 minutes ago, Aquatic Athlete said:

@aotf well, the big "super orange" has so many eggs, she can barely keep them in.

In addition to that, my original berried female has hatched all but two eggs as of 1730 today!! I've seen a few tiny shrimplettes roaming around.

Congrats! Mark it on your calendar so you can get a chance to see them hatch!

33 minutes ago, Aquatic Athlete said:

Typical gestation?

I've heard 3-4 weeks is typical.

All of the neos that I've kept track of have busted out at 21 days, maybe 22. Start paying attention at ~19-20 days. 

Around 2200 last night, I checked in on the shrimp tank and noticed i wasn't able to see her eggs. She was still fanning her swimmerettes.

This morning, I shined a light on her and can't make out any egg shapes, unless they're all extremely high up, practically in her tail, I'm not seeing them. 

I searched the tank to see if I could spot the missing eggs and have seen nothing yet.

Any suggestions for next time?