Cyanobacteria/ BlueGreen Slime algae.

Aquatic Athlete

Spot apply H2O2 with a syringe and the filters off as a temporary solution. You won't win the fight with peroxide.
If it's really bad, black out your tank for 4-7 days. The cyanobacteria will go away for a couple days (but will come back, this is also just a temporary fix to give you some breathing room).

Longer term solution would be to reduce lighting/ferts and add fast growing plants (like duckweed) to out-compete the cyanobacteria. 

I wouldn't try to treat algae/cyanobacteria chemically, I don't know of any such products I would feel comfortable using in a shrimp tank.

EDIT: 5 min of Googling makes me think that Erythromycin might be both shrimp-safe and en effective BGA treatment. I learn something every day! 

A few people also recommended Chemi-Clean from.. Boyd.. They've said they used it with shrimp and it works wonders, Packaging says its salt, fresh, plant and invert safe. 

I removed 95% or more of the bloom manually and then hit it with a half dose. The ghost shrimp whom are holding place for my blues, seem fine so far. 

I'll let you know how it works!

I had a similar issue in a heavily planted 50 G tank that had a variety of tetras, cories, Amano's, and bamboo shrimp. I siphoned out as much as I could then increased the aeration. I used a flexible air tube across the back of the tank. It took a couple weeks but the tank is clear. 

Cyanobarcteria don't like oxygen.  That's why the spot treatment of hydrogen peroxide works. After researching various chemical products I wasn't convinced the shrimp would be safe. I found a few sources that had success using air so I thought might as well try. Happy to say it worked very well. Good Luck

15 hours ago, Aquatic Athlete said:

A few people also recommended Chemi-Clean from.. Boyd.. They've said they used it with shrimp and it works wonders, Packaging says its salt, fresh, plant and invert safe. 

I removed 95% or more of the bloom manually and then hit it with a half dose. The ghost shrimp whom are holding place for my blues, seem fine so far. 

I'll let you know how it works!

20 minutes ago, Shrimporama said:

I had a similar issue in a heavily planted 50 G tank that had a variety of tetras, cories, Amano's, and bamboo shrimp. I siphoned out as much as I could then increased the aeration. I used a flexible air tube across the back of the tank. It took a couple weeks but the tank is clear. 

Cyanobarcteria don't like oxygen.  That's why the spot treatment of hydrogen peroxide works. After researching various chemical products I wasn't convinced the shrimp would be safe. I found a few sources that had success using air so I thought might as well try. Happy to say it worked very well. Good Luck

I've also heard some success stories from just increasing water flow in the tank (especially to areas with the cyanobacteria). Harder to achieve with a HOB but easy if you have access to a pump or are using a canister. Super low risk to the tank inhabitants.