Filter Cover

So, there is currently a section of a pair of my old tights round my filters intake as some of our red cherry shrimp have gotten in there and one has died as a result but it means the filter is not working as well as it should be, is there anything more suitable to put over the filters intake to prevent any more shrimps getting in and killed in the filter? 

I'm a fan of Han's filter covers and use them on several of my tanks. They do clog for me sometimes, but it's kind of unavoidable if you have any loose waste (like decaying plants) and want it to be fine enough to keep shrimplets out. But it's easier to tell if it's clogging than sponges, which can get clogged with a kind of liquid waste over time, and much easier to clean by using an old toothbrush or similar for a few seconds. With sponges I end up just squeezing and squeezing out the gunk and I'm never really sure if it's totally clean.

Sponges work best because they add biofilm surface areas, but aesthetically Han’s are fantastic. I’m actually using an old one of his to slow down the waterfall in my turtle tank. They work great too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk