Plop and drop with new shrimp

vinniemabuna

Hi, I saw a video with Rachel -Ms Jinks , she was talking about how she acclimates her fish-shrimp , she get a lot of boxes of both eack week. Her method is to open the bag plop them in a wet net and then just put them in her tank, no acclimating for 2 hours ect. . I just did this with some CRS from aqua-bid -they are doing great ate right away ! What are your thoughts this gets them out of the dirty water-ammonia right away thanks..

I'm not sure her method applies to shrimp.  Rachel does this because she gets shipments of a bag of lets say 100 FISH, they create alot of ammonia. So in that case for fish yes its best to do that way.

For shrimp, if none have died in transit you can drip acclimate. I've drip acclimated alot of shrimp over time and never lose any from "dirty ammonia water". Shrimp esp Caridina can be sensitive to moving tanks, so I can imagine plopping and dropping them could add to the stress.

I am a huge fan of her videos and tried the plopped and dropped the last few shrimp orders I have bought, none of the shrimp seemed affected by it and none died over the next few days either. I have definitely lost more shrimp due to high volumed water changes. My opinion is that the shrimp can handle a large stressor once in a blue moon and be just fine (except for berried shrimp; any amount of stress for them is a huge no no), if the stressors occur too often then they will die.  But everyone has their own tried and true method so you can choose what has been good for you.  

Depends on your parameters vs theirs. I plop shrimp from tank to tank all the time since I maintain the same parameters across tanks. Maybe you get lucky and you both have TDS of 200! But oops, the next buyer has TDS of 1,000! So my approach is to always acclimate, but I don't always drip on low end shrimp. Even a 5 minute acclimation with tablespoons of water helps.