Gh test kit

trong

Just curious which brand test kit people like and why?

My preference is Nutrafin because color changes from pink to blue which is very obvious. even at low dGh

Not a fan of API on dGh because the color change from green to orange isn't that clear.

Is there a test kit that's preferred amongst shrimpers?

Please throw some feed back out

I bought the API GH/KH kit once, but I stopped using it after I found a good TDS meter. My view is that once you know the TDS you have to mix your water  to and your normal TDS your GH, KH no longer matters as long as you don't change your brand of re-mineralizing powders/liquids and you keep the TDS in the new water consistent or in the same ballpark with what is in your tank water. I regreted buying the API kit after I used it once or twice as it is just collecting dust right now, its live and learn though. 

16 hours ago, trong said:

Just curious which brand test kit people like and why?

My preference is Nutrafin because color changes from pink to blue which is very obvious. even at low dGh

Not a fan of API on dGh because the color change from green to orange isn't that clear.

Is there a test kit that's preferred amongst shrimpers?

Please throw some feed back out

Yeap i try Api 3 times, i was thinking maybe i get a broken or expired test...

I never can read the color change...

I use sera Gh test , it turn from red to green...

13 hours ago, Revaria said:

I bought the API GH/KH kit once, but I stopped using it after I found a good TDS meter. My view is that once you know the TDS you have to mix your water  to and your normal TDS your GH, KH no longer matters as long as you don't change your brand of re-mineralizing powders/liquids and you keep the TDS in the new water consistent or in the same ballpark with what is in your tank water. I regreted buying the API kit after I used it once or twice as it is just collecting dust right now, its live and learn though. 

It depend... if you dont have changes in Ro tds..

I don’t have any tips on test tube test brands other than I have better than 20/20 and that stupid green to orange change is impossible to see. I would recommend upgrading to monitors as soon as you can if you really want to have firm control on your tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for all the feedback, I do use TDS meter also. I may have discovered a possible reason I have slowly been loosing my CRS. I have been monitoring my water change water with my TDS meter and my tank water with it. Somehow my tank water although maintaining a good TDS, (I thought), my dGh has gone down to 3. I do lightly fertilize for plants and have corrected this problem in my tank, but wanted to post this for those who use ferts and TDS alone to monitor there tank. This will probably only be an issue for those with plants and shrimp. Hope this helps someone   

2 hours ago, trong said:

thanks for all the feedback, I do use TDS meter also. I may have discovered a possible reason I have slowly been loosing my CRS. I have been monitoring my water change water with my TDS meter and my tank water with it. Somehow my tank water although maintaining a good TDS, (I thought), my dGh has gone down to 3. I do lightly fertilize for plants and have corrected this problem in my tank, but wanted to post this for those who use ferts and TDS alone to monitor there tank. This will probably only be an issue for those with plants and shrimp. Hope this helps someone   

Ferts raise tds...

In my planted tanks.. tds raise +~100 every week from ferts...

• 5 weeks later...

I like Nutrafin also as the API one is too difficult for me to determine as I'm color blind so I can never tell the exact change unless I add way too many drops. Although the API KH test works well and I like that one. You can also buy on Ebay just the Nutrafin GH reagent refill if you already have test tubes from another kit.