New CRS Setup

Memphis118

I decided to setup a new tank, and plan to raise / breed Crystal Red shrimp in a lightly planted tank. 

Specs:

17 Gallon ADA tank 40p

Eheim 2213 Canister

SL-Aqua Nature Soil

Before setting up my tank, I've been looking at alot of forums, and youtube videos on people setting tanks up, and I saw that some recommended the follow items to put in under the substrate:

Bacter 100
Tourmaline BC
Clear Super 

MinoRecton powder
Fulvic Grain
Biozyme

Magic Powder

How important are those above, and how beneficial would it be for me to use all of those?  Thanks!

• 7 months later...
On 12/18/2017 at 3:42 PM, Memphis118 said:

I decided to setup a new tank, and plan to raise / breed Crystal Red shrimp in a lightly planted tank. 

Specs:

17 Gallon ADA tank 40p

Eheim 2213 Canister

SL-Aqua Nature Soil

Before setting up my tank, I've been looking at alot of forums, and youtube videos on people setting tanks up, and I saw that some recommended the follow items to put in under the substrate:

Bacter 100
Tourmaline BC
Clear Super 

MinoRecton powder
Fulvic Grain
Biozyme

Magic Powder

How important are those above, and how beneficial would it be for me to use all of those?  Thanks!

Hi Memphis,

I find that most of the products you've listed above aren't really required per say but they do offer some benefits and they all serve different purposes:

Seeding Bacteria: Bacter 100, Biozyme

Mineral Content: Tourmaline BC, Fluvic Grain, Magic Powder

Unsure: Clear Super, MinoRecton powder

They just give you a head start on the cycling process and give you the assurance that your shrimp will get all the conditions they require right from the get go. However that being said, most intermediate shrimp keepers just rely on good old patience and saltyshrimp GH+ added to RO water to provide the necessary environment for our shrimps :)