What i'm hoping to do is make a shrimp tank for 27.05 USD. i have a gift card to pet smart for that amount (from returning something). I already have

• a 5 gallon tank
  • a hood (no bulb)
  • and a filter housing ( no sponge or cartridge)
  •  a net

That's all i have. 

What i think i have enough money for

• pre filter on the intake (~4) (only biological and mechanical filter in the tank)
  • one marimo moss ball ($8)(they have fake ones that do grow moss and are a couple of bucks cheaper. are these ok?)
  • Declorinator (like $8 for 3 oz)
  • Light (~4.50)(will this provide enough heat in house that gets down to 65f at night?)
  • however many ghost shrimp i can get with leftover + $2 in change

Will they be able to survive ~2 months until i got get more money? Also would it be necessary to buy a thermometer for this set up?

dont get a marimo moss ball from them, its overpriced. You can get a better deal online at ebay or other sellers. The light wont provide the heat you may be wanting, but 65 is not deadly enough to kill or harm shrimp. As long as it isnt a sudden drop, it is completely fine. I dont have a heater for my tank of shrimp and it gets around 60-65. (they are breeding) The temperature in their natural habitat is never stable and dips below 70 too. 

How much is the 5 gallon tank? You should be able to find a 10 gallon for 14 dollars and less. 

Thermometer will be needed when you buy a heater! 

They should be able to survive! (although a cycled tank is also important and you may need to prepare for tat)

7 minutes ago, bobthesushiguy said:

How much is the 5 gallon tank?

i already have the 5 gallon, and my pet smart only sells tanks under 55 gal as kits, no individual tanks for sale.this, im pretty sure, is the same moss ball i looked at. is it worth it?

edit: i was hoping the moss ball would have enough bacteria to safely add the shrimps(maybe start with one) right away

to get the best bang for your buck make sure and order online.  The online prices are almost ALWAYS cheaper and if you do store pickup sometimes up to 15% more off.  Honestly petsmart is a rip for the 10 gallon tank you can get the 10 gallon at walmart for $14.  I just got one there yesterday in fact for my new Blue Bolt tank I am setting up.  

Just because you have a giftcard there does not mean you should just blow it all there.  Shop around for prices and like I said order online and store pickup.  Even if you do not store pickup they will price match with their online site at the store.  I do this all the time and like I said is almost always cheaper than their store prices.

Like Clownplanted said, you will get things way cheaper online, if you are able to order off ebay thats great. 

If not then for a bulb, what kind of fixture is it?

Do not get the marimo ball, I can send you one for free :) Just PM me your details if you'd like a free marimo ball 2",Only thing - I am not shipping anything this week due to EXTREME cold weather.

For the intake - Another solution is go to the dollar store, get some $1 pantyhose and put it on the intake. 

Maybe get a bag of sand/substrate with the extra money if you don't have to get a marimo ball or filter intake.

12 hours ago, Hopeful_frank said:

im pretty sure, is the same moss ball i looked at. is it worth it?

edit: i was hoping the moss ball would have enough bacteria to safely add the shrimps(maybe start with one) right away

no, it will not make your tank safe enough to add shrimp right away.  You must cycle the tank.  Spend the money on test kits so that you can cycle the tank. youre going to need the 1-2 months to cycle the tank anyway until you get more money.

Like Clownplanted said, you will get things way cheaper online, if you are able to order off ebay thats great. 
If not then for a bulb, what kind of fixture is it?
Do not get the marimo ball, I can send you one for free [emoji4] Just PM me your details if you'd like a free marimo ball 2",Only thing - I am not shipping anything this week due to EXTREME cold weather.
For the intake - Another solution is go to the dollar store, get some $1 pantyhose and put it on the intake. 
Maybe get a bag of sand/substrate with the extra money if you don't have to get a marimo ball or filter intake.

It's for the long bulbs and uses a standard light bulb, 2 for like $4. I also found a 30% off petsmart online coupon so I can afford to get substrate as well as everything mentioned and have money left over for shrimp once it's been cycled. I believe I Amy be able to afford a plant and I heard somewhere that you can tell if a tank is cycled it will grow at the plants normal rate

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I am excited for your shrimp adventure. As the others have mentioned, the tank will need to cycle. Patience is the key with shrimp. :-)  Welcome to the forum. Lots of info from fellow shrimpers and in the archives.  Shrimp Rock!

3 hours ago, Hopeful_frank said:

I heard somewhere that you can tell if a tank is cycled it will grow at the plants normal rate

You are setting yourself up for failure.  Please research what is needed to cycle your tank properly.  Just because a plant is growing at the "normal rate" does not mean anything.  If you do not cycle the tank properly, you will lose every shrimp you put in the tank.  You will then ask us why you are losing all your shrimp.  I am not trying to be mean or prevent you from buying all the fun things you mentioned above.  However it is all for nothing if you do not cycle your tank properly.  I would much rather see you here on the forum 1+ year from now helping others in this same situation rather than not see you on here anymore in a month when you get frustrated and leave the hobby.

You are setting yourself up for failure.  Please research what is needed to cycle your tank properly.  Just because a plant is growing at the "normal rate" does not mean anything.  If you do not cycle the tank properly, you will lose every shrimp you put in the tank.  You will then ask us why you are losing all your shrimp.  I am not trying to be mean or prevent you from buying all the fun things you mentioned above.  However it is all for nothing if you do not cycle your tank properly.  I would much rather see you here on the forum 1+ year from now helping others in this same situation rather than not see you on here anymore in a month when you get frustrated and leave the hobby.
I already know it needs cycled, and I switched the pre filter for sponges, do i have enough to get a test kit. I just finished put in substrate and filter sponges etc, and I'm ready to wait until it's good

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

see the link for the test kit @ petsmart online

https://www.petsmart.com/fish/food-and-care/water-quality-testers/api-freshwater-aquarium-master-test-kit-17465.html?cgid=300118

you will need the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate kits for determining when the cycle is done.