Which PRL Lineage??

HEY ALL!!

My tank finally finished cycling and I am so excited to add shrimp in now!! My boyfriend said he will purchase a few for me as a early birthday gift, but not sure which line to get.

Here are the 3 lineages I've narrowed it down to (simply based on popularity / name)

- benibachi PRL Shrimps (still looking for a place to purchase)

- Ellen Wangs E2 (Joes Aqua) ----- anyone have experience ordering from them? Hows the quality?

- MK Breed PRLs ( Blue Crown Aquatics) ---- heard mixed reviews on them. 

Any suggestions would be amazing! THANKS!!

I've ordered from Joe multiple times and the only times I've ever had any issues was due to shipping delays. I'm not sure if Joe has a package deal for the PRL's, but he has several packages of shrimp that includes free Fedex overnight shipping. If you message them he may have a package deal for PRL's. I don't have any PRL's myself, but I've been impressed with the quality of all the shrimp that he's sent me so far. He also sends his shrimp as juveniles, so if you do decide to go with him they'll be small but the younger they are the better they handle shipping and adapting to a new tank. I got in a package from Joe last week and unfortunately a lot of the shrimps didn't make it. There was a delay in memphis due to cold weather and when I received the package their bags were very cold. Absolutely no fault of the seller (he packaged well and included a heat pack), but it's something to consider with it still being winter and because all Fedex packages go through the main HUB in Memphis.

If I may add another suggestion, you could look into Flip Aquatics. Like most shrimp sellers, Flip Aquatics' shrimp are primarily imported shrimp. However, Rob (the owner) does things differently because he has a 30 day quarantine system where he holds his imported shrimp for at least 30 days to check for diseases, parasites, etc. before selling them to the public. Because of that, his shrimp are noticeably pricier, but they are very healthy. I got in 28 shrimps from them a day ago and there were no DOA's. They also typically include extras in case, but in my experience I've never had a single DOA with them. Rob also has a Youtube channel so he's completely transparent about how he runs his business, how the shrimps are doing, what the shrimps look like, information for shrimp keepers, etc. I was so impressed with the last order that I'm planning to do an even bigger and pricier order next month. With Rob I know I have to pay more, but I have no doubt that the shrimp will all arrive alive and healthy.

Sorry for the long post, I tend to like to go into detail lol. Bottom line, I support and trust Joe's Aqua and Flip Aquatics as pretty much my only sources of shrimp. Both have DOA policies, both have very good customer service, and both have awesome shrimps. Joe specializes in rare and high quality shrimp for a lower price, whereas Rob specializes in high quality and, for him above all else, extremely healthy shrimp. Hope this helps and good luck with the new tank!

I've bought prl from joe and bluecrown. I've gotten way better quality from bluecrown because I'm able to go to their store and pick out which one I want. Joe's E2 are pretty decent. Can't go wrong either way. I would suggest going on facebook groups and look for other breeders. There's a good amount of people out there with great prl line. Just depends on how much you're willing to spend.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I received a batch of E2s over a week ago from Joe and most of them are not the greatest quality.  I waited over a week (out of fairness) to reply to this thread hoping that the E2s would "whiten" up but most of them never did.  Some of them look like E3s (full bands) and some have uneven blotchy white specs on their legs.  If Ellen Wang was alive right now she'd be really disappointed that these are being sold with her name attached to them.  

4 hours ago, zenster said:

I received a batch of E2s over a week ago from Joe and most of them are not the greatest quality.  I waited over a week (out of fairness) to reply to this thread hoping that the E2s would "whiten" up but most of them never did.  Some of them look like E3s (full bands) and some have uneven blotchy white specs on their legs.  If Ellen Wang was alive right now she'd be really disappointed that these are being sold with her name attached to them.  

Interesting, have you contacted Joe to see what he says about it? I am curious what his take on it would be, if the quality of "E2" looks more like E3s

5 hours ago, Mishiri said:

Interesting, have you contacted Joe to see what he says about it? I am curious what his take on it would be, if the quality of "E2" looks more like E3s

I haven't contacted Joe since the day the shrimp arrived.  He was wondering if I received them or not because I was having problems with customs (vague paperwork filled out at Joe's end).  Took a couple of hours to sort out but luckily the customs office was in the same building as the FedEx depot where I picked up.  Anyhow, these E2s were a lot more expensive a few years ago but now they are $16 each.  Don't know if that's due to competition or you-get-what-you-pay-for considering high quality PRLs can sell for hundreds.  

9 hours ago, zenster said:

I haven't contacted Joe since the day the shrimp arrived.  He was wondering if I received them or not because I was having problems with customs (vague paperwork filled out at Joe's end).  Took a couple of hours to sort out but luckily the customs office was in the same building as the FedEx depot where I picked up.  Anyhow, these E2s were a lot more expensive a few years ago but now they are $16 each.  Don't know if that's due to competition or you-get-what-you-pay-for considering high quality PRLs can sell for hundreds.  

I assume price dropped due to more competition over the years. If you feel like you got Non-E2's I would def hit up Joe. His reputation is pretty good, so I assume he will help you out. What's there to lose, right? 

I was about to order from Joe, but now I am hesitate... 

I just ordered some shrimp from Joe and he told me that he's actually not shipping out shrimp until Feb. 21st because he is celebrating Chinese New Years'. He said he's taking orders but won't be able to ship out until then. 

3 hours ago, Mishiri said:

I assume price dropped due to more competition over the years. If you feel like you got Non-E2's I would def hit up Joe. His reputation is pretty good, so I assume he will help you out. What's there to lose, right? 

I was about to order from Joe, but now I am hesitate... 

I emailed Joe to ask him about the change in quality of his E2s.  Will report back to this thread as soon as I get a reply.

28 minutes ago, Mishiri said:

Hey Zen,

Any updates from Joe?

Joe replied on Saturday.  Didn't acknowledge my concerns but asked me how many pieces have thick shells.  So I answered 2 or 3 (out of 20).  And that was it.  Short and quick.  Didn't hear from him since.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/6/2018 at 6:02 PM, zenster said:

Joe replied on Saturday.  Didn't acknowledge my concerns but asked me how many pieces have thick shells.  So I answered 2 or 3 (out of 20).  And that was it.  Short and quick.  Didn't hear from him since.  

Did you ever get a reply from Joe? I was thinking of buying from him.

30 minutes ago, ILikeAsianBooty said:

I ended up buying some E2's PRL from him earlier, and they looked pretty good overall. I asked him for a picture of the colony so I can see, and it looked pretty good.

On 2/6/2018 at 6:02 PM, zenster said:

I am surprised you havent heard from him. He is pretty responsive. Any updates on this? 

2 hours ago, ILikeAsianBooty said:

1 hour ago, Memphis118 said:

I am surprised you havent heard from him. He is pretty responsive. Any updates on this? 

No replies and no updates.  Name of sender was Larry Shih so Joe probably wasn't involved with picking them out.  But still....

Anyhow, can't expect too much when paying $16 for a supposedly high end shrimp.

19 hours ago, zenster said:

Sorry spoke too soon.  Joe did send me an email.  Ugh, haven't checked that account for a few days.  He's offering to send me a new batch of E2s.  Awesome!

Wow, that is quite amazing haha. Pretty good overall customer service. Can't wait for new pictures

On 3/4/2018 at 6:50 PM, zenster said:

Sorry spoke too soon.  Joe did send me an email.  Ugh, haven't checked that account for a few days.  He's offering to send me a new batch of E2s.  Awesome!

Get those new E2s yet? Interested to see how the quality of the new ones are, compared to the original ones he sent you

4 hours ago, Memphis118 said:

Get those new E2s yet? Interested to see how the quality of the new ones are, compared to the original ones he sent you

Not yet.  Still waiting for Joe to get back to me after letting him know I'll take up his offer.  Maybe he's waiting for a decent batch to come in?  I'll definitely keep you in the loop about the quality of the new ones if I ever get them.

• 4 weeks later...