Breeding tank size

zenster

The bigger the better but is there such thing as too big that it won't make a difference at the end (but hurt your wallet)?  What are your experiences like?  Do you wish your tanks are bigger/smaller or just perfect in what you are trying to achieve?

2 hours ago, ClownPlanted said:

You can have too big.  The reason being is a sickness/disease breakout could wipe out entire tank.  Would be bad to have thousands lost instead of hundreds.  That is the only drawback I can see.  Single point of failure/wipe out.

Great point.  I'll definitely keep this in mind for the future.  I'm also wondering if its possible to produce high quality offspring like the Ellen Wang E1's in a small tank between 10 to 20 gallons.

7 minutes ago, Shrimple minded said:

Absolutely.

10-20 gallons is probably best size "range".

Agreed.  Too small can have large water parameter fluctuations.  Too large all eggs in one basket which could be problematic.  I stick to 10-20 gallons and think its the perfect range.

9 hours ago, zenster said:

Great point.  I'll definitely keep this in mind for the future.  I'm also wondering if its possible to produce high quality offspring like the Ellen Wang E1's in a small tank between 10 to 20 gallons.

Yes, it's definitely possible, they still have the gene, so it's up to your culling skills :)

14 hours ago, Mishiri said:

The ADA 60p is a great size, 17 gallons, It's what I am using

I have an ADA 60P too but contemplating going for something a bit bigger like a 25 gallon 18" cube.  The extra 8 gallons isn't that much more but you get more surface area for the shrimp to roam around.  If I was housing schooling fish like neons I would stick with the rectangular 60P because of the longer length but do you think the shorter length of the cube would matter to shrimps?  

4 hours ago, chappy6107 said:

also a tank that is too big could make it hard for the males to find the females after a moult.  depending on the size of your colony.

This is also true. For example, if you start out your tank with only 5 shrimp... in a tank this big, it will be quite difficult for them to find each other. This isn't the case, if you purchase a bigger colony though