PH and aqua soil

So I've been using SL Aqua Soil for over a month, and as the tank was cycling the average PH was always around 6 to 6.2. In the last 2 weeks or so, I noticed my PH raising a bit, and around 6.3 to 6.35 when lights are off, and 6.4 to 6.45 when lights are on.

Is there a reason why it's been higher than normal lately? Isn't the soil suppose to buffer it down to 6 to 6.2?

Currently the tank has the following:

A lot of Christmas moss

Fissiden

Flame moss

I also recently added a sochting oxydator to add some extra o2 into the tank, to help with shrimp health.

Is this PH change normal? Anyone else experience this while using SL Aqua Soil? (or other soils)

Thanks

15 minutes ago, aotf said:

Where does your water come from?

Its RODI water, used from the same place since I had this tank set up. I don't believe it would be that.... even then, shouldn't the soil buffer it down?

my parameters: 

GH 4

KH 0-1

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

nitrate 5-10

1 hour ago, Mishiri said:

Its RODI water, used from the same place since I had this tank set up. I don't believe it would be that.... even then, shouldn't the soil buffer it down?

my parameters: 

GH 4

KH 0-1

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

nitrate 5-10

Yeah, doesn't seem like it should be creeping much, just figured I'd ask in case you were using tap.

Any stones in the tank?

I know nothing of oxydators, do they tend to mess with pH at all?

2 hours ago, aotf said:

Yeah, doesn't seem like it should be creeping much, just figured I'd ask in case you were using tap.

Any stones in the tank?

I know nothing of oxydators, do they tend to mess with pH at all?

No stones in the tank. Oxydator should add o2 into it.. which can raise PH, but I removed it to see if it will drop. So far, no change 

my parameters: 
GH 4
KH 0-1
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
nitrate 5-10
What PH test kit are you using?
Is the PH change affecting your tank inhabitants? If it is then investigate every item in the tank.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, joziphoto said:

What PH test kit are you using?
Is the PH change affecting your tank inhabitants? If it is then investigate every item in the tank.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I am using the API test kit, as well as a PH Probe. Both reading are fairly similar. The PH change isnt effecting the shrimp at all.. my main worry is this:

Active soil buffers the tank to lower the PH, if it has to work hard to buffer it down, it will eventually burn out faster. Because the soil is suppose to buffer around 6 to 6.2.... I am wondering why it's higher lately, when nothing has changed / been added to the tank except for more plants. 

TDS reading is 0 and KH is 0.

I took some substrate out of the tank as well as tank water to do a quick test. After 24 hours, the PH came out to around 6.4 to 6.5 as well (matching my tank). It looks like the substrate is no longer buffering to 6.0 to 6.2 as advertised.

Has anyone else had this problem with SL Aqua Soil // or any other active soils? Soil has only been used for about 6 weeks, and always used RODI water with TDS 0 KH 0

Only 6 weeks?

never try this soil..

But most soil get a ph about 6.4-6.6

I dont think that you will have problems with srhimps..

What shrimp are u keeping?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there;

I can not give you any advise on the use of SL Aqua soil. I have never used it. However; if you are wanting a low ph. That will not Change much over time. Glas Garten Environment Aquarium Soil is the way to go. I use it in some of my tanks. It has been stable over the past year. ranging between 5.5 ~ 6.0 ph never going any higher.