How to breed 2 specific shrimp in a group shrimp tank.

cdaJiv

So I’ve spent today doing my due diligence and trying to find answers to my questions before posting online, so far with no success...

If I have a CRS tank with 10-30 shrimp in it, with a mix of grades from S-SS (the majority) to SSS (only a few) and I wanted to specifically breed two of the higher grade CRS together, would I be able to do so within the community tank?

Right now I have a total of 5 tanks designated for shrimp:

• 20g Long - RCS

• 10g Dennerle - Yellow Back Neos

• 10g Dennerle - Orange Sakura Neos

• 10g Dennerle - CRS/CBS

• 5g Fluval Spec - Currently housing mix of neocaridina fry (I don’t want to empty it until they are all out but there to small to see right now).

I am relatively new to breeding shrimp (

Would they use floating breeder boxes or a mesh breeder inside the tank?

And if so how do you go about “getting them in the mood”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know things like alder cones and almond leaves prevents bacterial infections, do you think the tannins make them more comfortable, maybe to help the breeding rate?

In my CRS/CBS tank I’ve had one berried Shrimp in the last month and a half and that was only just recently. At the moment the stock is only 20 count, but I am receiving 35 CRS this week and wanted to know if there are any tips.

I keep my tanks around 72°F, 150-200 TDS, very low NO3.

Is my temp to low?

I've always wondered this too. I assumed people used the breeder boxes/mesh I guess? Ill watch this thread. 

11 hours ago, chappy6107 said:

a little bit of Barry White goes along way....

I couldn't help but giggle at that comment. ^

• 4 months later...

I've been thinking on this and would it work to get a stainless steel dish strainer and remove the middle plug or drain stop.  Then seal the hole with an eye bolt so there is a hoop to grab.  Then drop it over them.  Possibly catch them both in a net and let them go in one spot with a lil moss under the dome.  My thought is this gives them access to better grazing than a mesh box hung on the side.  Also the mesh is so fine I wonder how much food stuffs can penetrate it.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/13/2018 at 1:21 PM, cdaJiv said:

I know things like alder cones and almond leaves prevents bacterial infections, do you think the tannins make them more comfortable, maybe to help the breeding rate?

In my CRS/CBS tank I’ve had one berried Shrimp in the last month and a half and that was only just recently. At the moment the stock is only 20 count, but I am receiving 35 CRS this week and wanted to know if there are any tips.

I keep my tanks around 72°F, 150-200 TDS, very low NO3.

Is my temp to low?

Hey cdaJiv!

Your parameters look fine :) Stability is more important for CRS. What works for me is trying to induce and enable molting of the shrimp through water changes, especially when you already have saddled and mature females. Alternatively you could use products like Borneowild Dance, which is just crushed up and dissolved shrimp shells to simulate a molt in the tank. Also be sure to breed some food with protein content as breeding is pretty energy intensive :P