Light for a Planted Hexagon Tank

I recently bought a 20 gallon (I think) hexagon tank and stand for really cheap.  It came with a filter and heater.  The only thing I need hardware-wise is a proper light.  I've been doing some research online but haven't been able to nail down a good compact light that can get deep enough for plants.  Tank depth is around 19", but will be a little bit less once I add some sand as a substrate.  Tank isn't rimless, so I need to take that into account for any clip-on lights.  Anybody have ideas/recommendations?

Hey!

I would suggest a Kessil. They make really high powered and good quality growth LED fixtures that put out really high light. I think you should be able to get away with a A160  but if really want high light you could get the more expensive A360s. The really long goose neck gives you really convenient access to your tank :D

image.png.2407a6cb5febd4165316a7dc258f569d.png A160

image.png.9dac4baf5c1e8aced519a067cc96b4e6.png A360

On 10/19/2018 at 7:48 PM, edwin_the_elder said:

Hey!

I would suggest a Kessil. They make really high powered and good quality growth LED fixtures that put out really high light. I think you should be able to get away with a A160  but if really want high light you could get the more expensive A360s. The really long goose neck gives you really convenient access to your tank :D

Thanks for the suggestion,  Edwin.  But to be honest, I really can't afford a Kessil right now.

I have a 20gal Hex and use one of these.  I have it sitting directly on a DIY Twinwall Polycarbonate Greenhouse Panel that I cut for a lid.  

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B019MXK6AY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's cheap, penetrates down to the bottom of the tank & grows low/medium light plants without any issues.  You will need to wire a plug for it, but other than that you're good to go!  I just use old PC Plugs.  

(I also use two of these on my 44gal corner tank, and again they work well!)

On 10/23/2018 at 7:35 AM, wyzazz said:

I have a 20gal Hex and use one of these.  I have it sitting directly on a DIY Twinwall Polycarbonate Greenhouse Panel that I cut for a lid.  

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B019MXK6AY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's cheap, penetrates down to the bottom of the tank & grows low/medium light plants without any issues.  You will need to wire a plug for it, but other than that you're good to go!  I just use old PC Plugs.  

(I also use two of these on my 44gal corner tank, and again they work well!)

Hmmmm, interesting.  I assume you use the 6000K Daylight white, 15W? 

Yeah I agree with wyzazz a floodlight would definitely work well for most plants if its lighting over a small area. There are several videos on youtube comparing flood lights to regular lights, Joey from the king of DIY made one a while back comparing it to the kessil and I also think Cory from aquarium coop did a video with just the floodlight as well.

24 minutes ago, wyzazz said:

Yep!

How hot does it run?  You have it on a Twinwall Polycarbonate Greenhouse Panel, is it just sitting on top of that facing down?  I'm wondering if I need to do the same thing or if I can get away with just the regular clear plastic lid that came with the tank.

Thanks for the info and apologies for all of the questions, I just don't have much experience with DIY. 

I used something similar to what wyzazz recommended over a 5 foot 100g tank.  Mine were also 15w, but they came with the pigtail plug already on them.  Also came from amazon.  Also sat face down on top of Twinwall Polycarbonate Greenhouse Panel used for lids.  front did not get hot enough to warrant any worry.  I used 3 to spread the light across the 5 foot tank.

On 10/24/2018 at 9:01 AM, wyzazz said:

The back end runs pretty warm, the front is fine.  I just have it sitting on the Polycarbonate Panels.  If it came with a clear plastic lid, I'd give that a shot first.  

On 10/30/2018 at 6:09 PM, chappy6107 said:

I used something similar to what wyzazz recommended over a 5 foot 100g tank.  Mine were also 15w, but they came with the pigtail plug already on them.  Also came from amazon.  Also sat face down on top of Twinwall Polycarbonate Greenhouse Panel used for lids.  front did not get hot enough to warrant any worry.  I used 3 to spread the light across the 5 foot tank.

What made you guys choose the Polycarbonate Panels?  I got the light set up but it runs WAY too hot for the plastic lid that I have on top of my tank.  I will either have to get a new lid, a new light, or rig something to hang the light over the tank.

5 minutes ago, briscoe said:

What made you guys choose the Polycarbonate Panels?  I got the light set up but it runs WAY too hot for the plastic lid that I have on top of my tank.  I will either have to get a new lid, a new light, or rig something to hang the light over the tank.

Lightweight, rigid, easy to cut & inexpensive.  Especially when you have a lot of tanks to cover!  Oh, and it doesn't bow at all!

On 11/1/2018 at 9:31 AM, briscoe said:

Same as @wyzazz:

cheap, easy to work with. NO BOWING.  and light gets through just fine.

to hang them I have seen lots of pics of people using 1x4's or 1x3's to make a mount and painted them black.