RCS health concern

Human Shrimp

Hello human shrimp,

I’ve only been keeping shrimp for about a year or so but it sounds like you’re shrimp may have something called “Scutariella japonica” . I’ve never had it but I have heard you can treat them with a salt bath. If you look on YouTube or google you will find exactly how treatment should be done. Also after treatment is done I’ve heard it’s good to remove any molts you may see in your tank for a couple weeks after treatment in case some japonica are left on the molts!

not an expert though, I’m sure someone here would know how to fix the issue as well. 

Good luck!

Sounds like Scutariella, a pic wouldn't hurt.

Shamelessly copy-pasting @wyzazz since I'm lazy and he typed this up like last week:

"

Be careful not to use table salt with Iodine!

Dosage: 1 teaspoon to 1 cup of clean tank water (not tap water).
Duration: 30sec to 1 minute. You might need to repeat this a couple of times until the parasite disappears, so keep the infected shrimp in a breeder or hospital tank (could be another cup of tank water).

"

1 hour ago, aotf said:

Shamelessly copy-pasting @wyzazz since I'm lazy and he typed this up like last week:

"

Duration: 30sec to 1 minute. You might need to repeat this a couple of times until the parasite disappears, so keep the infected shrimp in a breeder or hospital tank (could be another cup of tank water).

"

Here, got two pictures of the shrimp in question

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Yup, that’s scutariella. They grab onto what they can, sometimes head, sometimes rostrum. Google images has examples of both.

Luckily it’s an easy fix!

8 hours ago, aotf said:

"

"

Hahaha!  I have a Notepad document with all of this stuff in it, I just copy/paste now!  

7 hours ago, aotf said:

Yup, that’s scutariella. They grab onto what they can, sometimes head, sometimes rostrum. Google images has examples of both.

Thank you for the information, I'll get on this immediately 

8 hours ago, aotf said:

I don't have freshwater aquarium salt, should I remove the shrimp from the tank while I get some?

6 minutes ago, Human Shrimp said:

I don't have freshwater aquarium salt, should I remove the shrimp from the tank while I get some?

Kosher or Canning salt will work.  I would leave him/her be.  The potential damage is already done, just keep an eye on things. This is an easy fix, nothing to really worry about.  😁

6 minutes ago, Human Shrimp said:

So now I have the salt, do I use exactly 1 cup of aquarium water?

Yep, that's why we've specified 1 cup.  

Put your 1C of water in a container, add the salt & stir.  Then add the shrimp.  Count to 60, then remove the shrimp and add back to the tank.  

5 minutes ago, wyzazz said:

Yep, that's why we've specified 1 cup.  

Put your 1C of water in a container, add the salt & stir.  Then add the shrimp.  Count to 60, then remove the shrimp and add back to the tank.  

When I returned home, I found the shrimp appearing to be parasite free, do I still conduct the treatment?