changing substrate? thoughts

trong

My ada soil is way old. what are the statagies for changing soil in a shrimp and plant filled tank? can I change out 1/5th at a time section by section without killing shrimp? Has anyone tried this? the tank has been running for yrs  

• 2 weeks later...

You could attempt this but not with ADA or any other soil that leeches Ammonia.  You could do it with SLAqua, Controsoil or Brightwell if you wanted to.  

Generally, I just reset the tank and call it done.  

• 10 months later...
On 1/22/2019 at 7:07 AM, wyzazz said:

You could attempt this but not with ADA or any other soil that leeches Ammonia.  You could do it with SLAqua, Controsoil or Brightwell if you wanted to.  

Generally, I just reset the tank and call it done.  

Same here.  I've been starting to do what wyzazz does.  Do a reset.  Having said that, you do need to plan ahead.  So, if you only plan to run your ADA soil for 2yrs I'd start a new tank a couple of months before you hit the 2yr mark, and when it's ready just transfer the shrimps.  Maybe seed the new tank with a seasoned filter to speed up the cycling process.