Cheap alternatives to an R/O system?

Hi folks, the title says it all. I'm a low-income guy in a rental house so I'm hoping there's a reliable small-scale (10-15L at a time) alternative for an r/o system.

I am based in Australia wo hopefully you folks can recommend something from Amazon or the like.

Tia!

Well I can't speak to others, but it depends what type of shrimp you are planning on keeping and what your water is from the tap. One of the things I would do for my neo's is just the simple brita pitcher water. I would just keep filtering until I got a 5 gallon bucket's worth let it set and throw a little Prime in and I was good to go. Hope this helps!

3 hours ago, jesseter said:

Well I can't speak to others, but it depends what type of shrimp you are planning on keeping and what your water is from the tap. One of the things I would do for my neo's is just the simple brita pitcher water. I would just keep filtering until I got a 5 gallon bucket's worth let it set and throw a little Prime in and I was good to go. Hope this helps!

Wll, I have Neos and am breeding them pretty suuccessfully. I was thinking of using a Brita filter... thanks mate

• 1 month later...

I already have pretty soft water but to get the kH down to zero I have an old HOB filter filled with Cobalt aquatics total softener filter media and seachem purigen on a spare tub thats 27 gallons I fill with water for my shrimp tanks and I'm able to get the kH down to zero after letting the filter run for a few days although for some reason the pH goes up with this method so I have to change it with tannins or vinegar and let it stabilize 

I run 2 nano tanks in my apartment. Around 3 gallons each.  I don’t want the trouble of hooking up a ro system because I’m moving in half a year so I looked for an alternative. 

https://www.amazon.com/ZeroWater-ZP-006-4-Pitcher-Water-Quality/dp/B009DAU1NE?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_2581417011

its like a Brita but gives 0 tds.

idk if the replacement filters are cost efficient like the budget ro system but it does make my life easy and not as intrusive for my apartment nano tank life

The best suggestion is breed what works with your tap water. As your colonies grow slowly sell a few and with that save up for the RO unit if you want to try soft water shrimps. You can also buy a few simple mosses and grow those out and sell them to supplement the hobby.