Sponge Filter outflow attachment?

Im running a Sponge Filter in my 10 gal tank. I kind of want to try to add some PVC pipe that will extend almost the length of the tank but cap it off and drill holes into it so that the water will flow through those holes. Has anyone tried to modify their sponge filter for a different outflow instead of straight up? I currently attached a curved corner bend pvc piece so that the outflow water isn't just go straight up. It's angled. 

20170330_192323_HDR.jpg

I attempted to do this by stuffing my eheim spray bar attachment into the 90 degree output on my sponge, with some tubing around it. The problem is that the up flowing bubbles making that 90 degree turn and then out the spray bar slows the flow of water through the sponge significantly. It also causes the spray bar to gurgle and sputter out of the holes which I found to be pretty annoying. It also seemed to get air trapped in the top of the spray bar tube after a while which made the sputtering worse.

Unless you have a really high output air pump, I don' think a sponge is really going to move enough water to really make use of a spray bar efficiently.

It's going to be hard to separate the small bubbles from the airstone mixed with the water in such a short length of time.  You would almost need a little chamber that allows the water and bubbles to rise and stabilize/separate before exiting the spray bar, and it's not going to have enough head to actually spray.

• 1 month later...

Fluval makes a mini submersible with a spraybar for less than 15$. I have one and have to say its pretty solid.