How to use

Indian Almond Leaves - I soak mine in a bucket of water for a couple of days to leech out most of the tannin and get them to sink, then add them to the tank.  The shrimp and snails will graze on them, they also have an antibacterial property that helps to fend off some issues that could otherwise occur with the shrimp.  

Alder Cones - Same as above but I boil them first.  They have a lot of surface area and give the shrimp a place to find biofilm and algae.  

Mineral Balls - I doubt these do anything, but I use them in all my tanks anyway.  You literally just drop them in, they are supposed to leech beneficial minerals into the water over time.  

I hope that helps!

Remember these things alter your water parameters, the leaves will lower PH and the mineral balls raise GH.  As you know with shrimp you never want these being altered too much too fast.  It is always better to just do less than all at once.  I would add one leaf and two alder cones.  Let them be in the tank for a few days before adding more.  I just simply add them directly to the tank after a good rinse.  The tanins from the leaves are very good for the shrimp.  

2 hours ago, wyzazz said:

I put 2 of each in my 10 gallon tanks, I honestly don't think it matters.  I've seen folks build pyramid shapes out of them.  

If you put too much in at once it does matter.  Can cause paramaters to move in a direction too fast.  This is why I shy against doing too much at once.  

8 minutes ago, ClownPlanted said:

If you put too much in at once it does matter.  Can cause paramaters to move in a direction too fast.  This is why I shy against doing too much at once.  

I did a test where I put them into a container with tank water for 2 weeks.  I noticed no appreciable change in TDS, GH or KH aside for what would have happened due to evaporation.  I think their snake oil to be honest.  

It could just be the mineral balls I've received, but either way I don't think they'd alter the mineral composition fast enough to make a difference.  

1 hour ago, wyzazz said:

I did a test where I put them into a container with tank water for 2 weeks.  I noticed no appreciable change in TDS, GH or KH aside for what would have happened due to evaporation.  I think their snake oil to be honest.  

It could just be the mineral balls I've received, but either way I don't think they'd alter the mineral composition fast enough to make a difference.  

Were you using purigen.  Not saying you did but keep in mind purigen reduces or nearly eliminates tanins.   This testing was done in a controlled environment.  Anything with tanins will have similar effect.  Take a look at the article below which this was tested in a controlled environment.  

http://www.aldercones.com/

15 minutes ago, ClownPlanted said:

If you are refering to mineral balls I have no experience with that. I am referring to anything that leaches tanins.  

Right, tannins contain fulvic and humic acid, they definitely lower PH and can leech minerals into the water.  I was referring to the mineral balls, again I think they are snake oil but they don't hurt anything and are relatively inexpensive.