Shrimp Safe Surface Skimmer Ideas?

Hey guys, i need to put a surface skimmer in my 55G tank.  It's a 24" tall tank and gets some scum on the surface during the day.   I've been using an eheim 350 like pictured below.     Every few days I empty shrimp out of it (usually 5-15 shrimp, have only found one death), but would like to come up with something that would prevent the shrimp from entering.    I've tried to stack it with sponge inside, but it weighs down the tube to much so that it can't float.   would be curious what other people are using as a solution.

image.png.b7c9fe4aeac62a20c2fe860fa76f129e.png

I've got this unit on my 120P Fish tank, thinking about moving it over as it's clear and I can see inside, but it's not that powerful.

image.png.f7ba5a441e74e55e086e20305abb717c.png

What about wrapping window screen around it?  Not sure if that would still let the scum through.  Or I found putting an airstone about 4 inches below the surface cleared up the film in my IM nuvo fusion after I placed a sponge over my overflow to keep shrimp in.  Still looking for a better option as a flat screen sucks shrimp tight to it and I can't find a good mesh guard just plastic fish savers.  That's off topic but the added surface agitation cleared it right up.  I was using an open air line at first but it clogs up fast.  U mite as well just add a small DBL sponge filter for added bio surface area.

i ended up finding some very light weight mesh material my daughter brought home from school.  It's light enough to not hold the plunger below the surface and still let it float.   I did catch 2 amano's in it after 48 hours, but I blame them for it...dumb asses probably climbed over the screen.

the tank runs Co2, so i am not looking for a bunch of agitation.

That said....this tank sprung a leak on me over teh weekend...... :(  so no worries anymore as I tore it down...good news....don't think I lost any shrimp....pulled out about 300+