HELP my shrimp dying?

Hello everyone! I have a 10g shrimp tank with only Red Cherry Shrimps. (bought 20 of them).

This is day 3 now and they are not really "running to eat" or "aggressively eat" algae waffers.

They seems to be very "mellow" or always not moving much. They like to hang on the sponge filters chillin' there almost all day.

Today one just died...... He was perfectly colored normal and everything. However, he was just dead...

Their all pretty young and small right now. What the hell is going on here!?

I had done TONS of research before getting these guys; and I know a TON of info about them.... However, this doesn't make any sense at all :'(

I'm very confused why this is happening.....

My tank is completely cycled (0ammonia, 0nitire, and only 5nitrate)

I have good TDS with nice minerals for them, also pH is stable at a 7.4

Temp is at 74F steady.

Everything seems correct and nothing seems wrong at all..... However, the shrimp arn't acting normal and one just died... Sooo?? I'm lost and confused....... -.-

Please anyone help?

Just to get the generic replies out of the way:

• I do NOT over feed... They don't really run to things I put in there...
  • Tank is completely cycled
  • Temp and TDS and pH are stable
  • I see a decent amount of exoskeletons (molting successfully) 
  • My water conditioner has ability to detoxic heavy metals and kill all chlorine+chlorimines 

I see that you say you're feeding them algae wafers, this could be why you are getting the random deaths and the unactive shrimp. Most commercial algae wafers have some form of copper in them, which is very harmful to shrimp.

I would recommend buying a shrimp specifically formulated food from online, but there are some petstore alternatives which you could buy in person, the two I know of are http://www.petsmart.com/fish/food-and-care/food/pellets-and-crisp-food/national-geographicandtrade-shrimp-and-lobster-pellets-fish-food-27114.html and https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/omega-one-veggie-micro-pellets

You really will want to get a gh & kh test kit if you do not already have one.  For me, I am more concerned with what my gh/kh/tds #'s are than any thing else.

You mentioned a dechlorinator, which one?  this also probably means you are using tap water.  Sometimes the water treatment plants use extra chemicals going into the spring/summer months.  This has killed some fish of mine in the past and shrimp are more sensitive than most fish.

3 hours ago, chappy6107 said:

You really will want to get a gh & kh test kit if you do not already have one.  For me, I am more concerned with what my gh/kh/tds #'s are than any thing else.

You mentioned a dechlorinator, which one?  this also probably means you are using tap water.  Sometimes the water treatment plants use extra chemicals going into the spring/summer months.  This has killed some fish of mine in the past and shrimp are more sensitive than most fish.

My declorinator is called by a great company API: "Tap Water Conditioner". It is similar to prime, it also detoxifies heavy metals.

10 hours ago, techsmith said:

Whats your values of your TDS, GH and KH? Also how long has your tank been running?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

My TDS is 240ppm. It was lower, however I got it up using Salty Shrimp's product "Shrimp Mineral GH/KH+"  My GH and KH are unkown due to me not having a test kit for those.

12 hours ago, NotKelly said:

I see that you say you're feeding them algae wafers, this could be why you are getting the random deaths and the unactive shrimp. Most commercial algae wafers have some form of copper in them, which is very harmful to shrimp.

I would recommend buying a shrimp specifically formulated food from online, but there are some petstore alternatives which you could buy in person, the two I know of are http://www.petsmart.com/fish/food-and-care/food/pellets-and-crisp-food/national-geographicandtrade-shrimp-and-lobster-pellets-fish-food-27114.html and https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/omega-one-veggie-micro-pellets

Not the problem. Problem was way before I try to feed them algae waffers. They don't run to anything really I put in the tank..... They are not active really at all.

However... Let us think about this for a second.... Will a incorrect GH or KH really make all the shrimp very inactive???

And to even further that... KILL a shrimp!?

I am not seeing how this is possible......

2 minutes ago, huntingtrees said:

gH and kH are more important than pH. a sudden change in pH can be uncomfortable and bad for breeding but osmosis shock has a much higher kill rate IIRC

Yes but my KH and GH should be extemely steady since I use the shrimp mineral.

You really need the gh and kh numbers as your tap may not need the salty shrimp gh+ but we dont know the numbers to know where you are.

Some people use tap only or raise the tap if the gh is low.

Ive personally have had more success with caridina shrimp as my neos would never do right.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk