New setup 10gal tank for pintos tbs

Citycode01

Hello shrimp fanatics.

Here my new setup. The idea is to create an ideal tank with over filtration and auto temp control and auto topup. 

I read one article about undergravel filtration one Javanese breeder believe that it helps a lot in survival of the baby shrimps by reducing  ammonia sparks on the surface. 

Setup specs

45L volume roughly 10gal

sunbstrate - Akadama normal granes bottom, fine granes at the top 

Filtration:

undegravel filter with two outtakes - one with air stone another with small pump.

Eheim 2213 with additional filter chamber with sponges and polishing cloth. It connected  to the large sponge filter to give shrimps some sponges to feed from. 

Current a bit too strong at the moment I'm thinking to drill slightly bigger holes on the spray bar. 

Added fer drops ammonia and squeezed two sponges into the water from established tank to seed bacteria. 

Will do the test in a few days

IMG_0959.JPG

IMG_0961.JPG

you'd typically want to protect your UGF pad with some sort of media, creating a layer between the UGF and the soil so the soil won't break down and clog the inlets. You've skipped this step but you should be fine for some time until the soil breaks down. Once it does you'd probably just turn the UGF off if the flow stops..

Can't you control the flow with your Eheim tubes? you should be able to turn down the intake or the out..

I think your shrimp will appreciate how clean their water is! Should lead to happy breeding IMO. A couple of small plants won't hurt! :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/10/2017 at 6:31 PM, Josh M said:

you'd typically want to protect your UGF pad with some sort of media, creating a layer between the UGF and the soil so the soil won't break down and clog the inlets. You've skipped this step but you should be fine for some time until the soil breaks down. Once it does you'd probably just turn the UGF off if the flow stops..

Can't you control the flow with your Eheim tubes? you should be able to turn down the intake or the out..

I think your shrimp will appreciate how clean their water is! Should lead to happy breeding IMO. A couple of small plants won't hurt! :)

Hi Josh,

Thanks for reply. I don't think that Akadama soil will ever breaks down. It's designed for bansai tree and it's like clay. It's cooked in 800C and very strong. The grains at the bottom are about 1cm. I have this soil in my other tank for more than a year and it's still look good. 

I will post an update very soon once I add some shrimps. I have added some plants and moss already. 

Cheers

On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:31 PM, Josh M said:

I can but that reduce the filtration and I don't want this. I've drilled a bigger holes in the spray bar and now the flow is much slower but strong enough for good circulation.

I also changed the pump for a bit stronger one and less noisy one, had to pay for it a bit more but it totally worse it. Now I can add an extra air bubbles with little 6mm air tubing attached to it.

Added floating switch for the pump which pumping the water form RO water tank when level is below the line to reduce water parameters changing by adding few grams of water every hour or so.

Also connected a fan with thermostat for temperature control  like on my other tank. 

Now the water should be clean with super steady temp and water level, hopefully ;-)

The cycle nearly completed which took nearly two weeks with cycled sponges on the intake, but I think it because I added too much liquid ammonia in the beginning. Now I'm thinking which shrimps to begin with and I probably going to start with 10-15 pinto females mischlings and few Taiwan bee males. Later when I 100% know the water parameters good I will add some small pintos from another mischling/pinto tank.

Two weeks passed and the cycle has been completed.

It's time for shrimps:)

I added:

4 TB males - 2 good grade pandas, 1 low grade panda and one red bolt

16 Mischling females around half of them beried from Tbs but few of them from other Mischlings 

Mischlings made by crossbreed tb with tangerine tiger shrimp, a lot of them 2nd generation Mischlings with tbs 

20171022_233656.jpg

20171022_233706.jpg

20171022_233727.jpg

20171022_233757.jpg

20171022_233720.jpg

20171022_234417.jpg

4 hours ago, DETAquarium said:

Very nice setup! Is the Eheim 2213 producing to much flow in your opinion?

Hi DETAquarium, love your youtube channel  and your tanks btw.

Yes the flow is quite strong, it's a bit better now once I drilled a bigger holes in the spray bar. It's ok for adult shrimps but I'm a little bit worry if the baby shrimps going to be ok.

I think the flow is always stronger in new setup, in a few weeks it should be reduced when filter clogged a bit.

I'm not planning to clean Eheim with media at all, only going to clean prefilter chamber where I have a sponge and wool floss and sponge filter connected to intake tube.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎04‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:09 AM, Josh M said:

It looks great man. I'm sure things will take off breeding wise for you quickly. Especially if the temps are nice.

Thinks man, They doing awesome. I've got some babies already including some blue they not all have pinto patens more like KK with 1-2 stripes.

Will do update once I add some pintos juveniles in a week or so

• 1 month later...