RO/DI system cost

How often do you have to replace the filters? 

I'm trying to determine what would be more cost effective. Right now I'm using remineralized distilled water which is costing me around $4.50 a month. 

In my opinion, if you're only spending $4.50 a month, it might be cheaper to go that route. 

I purchased a 4 stage RODI unit from BRS that cost me around $180 (could be cheaper during sale times), and with the filters given, I've gotten over 500 gallons from it, without changing out the filters. Filter replacements if things run out, ranged from 30-60 dollars I believe, if you get it from BRS. 

Filter life span also depends on the water going in from your tap, how high the TDS is, etc etc. It is determined by how much the RODI unit needs to work to get the TDS down to zero. Lucky for me, the local water here isn't as bad as other areas.

13 hours ago, Valek said:

How often do you have to replace the filters? 

I'm trying to determine what would be more cost effective. Right now I'm using remineralized distilled water which is costing me around $4.50 a month. 

It really depends on how much of what you're filtering out, and how many stages (and what those stages are) your RO system is.  In your case, you are going to take 2-3 years at your current rate to recoup the cost for a cheap RO system.  Unless you want the convenience or you are setting up more tanks, it doesn't look like it's worth the $$$ in your case.  

No problem!  You can always look around on Craigslist to see if someone is getting rid of a lightly used unit and build your own.  Once you understand the concept and the flow of filtration, it isn't too difficult.  They typically go like this:  

1. Sediment Filters - Removes dirt, particulate, sand, sediment

2. Activated Carbon - Removes chlorine, sediment, chemicals, odor, taste

3. Carbon Block - Removes chlorine, sediment, chemicals, odor, taste even further than the Activated Carbon stage

4. RO Membrane - Removes minerals from water

5. DI - Removes lingering minerals from water (May not be needed in your case)

6. Post Carbon - Removes lingering odor, helps taste, adds back minerals (Not typically needed for our purposes)