New Tank

Sunfighter

I was a tropical fish breeder for 50 years, until I sold my house and moved into a condo where I don't have room for 50 tanks but a month ago I set up a 10 for a few shrimp. I've planted it with Dwarf Baby Tears, Anubias, Crypt wendtii and a few kinds of moss and it's starting to grow in but I'm getting algae on the surfaces. I don't want to reduce the light since I want the vascular plants to grow in so I've ordered a few Nerite snails (Tiger) even though I'm not sure that I want them competing with the shrimp for algae and biofilm. Well, I won't be getting any shrimp for a few months and that brings me to my real question. I haven't decided between Cherry Red and Blue dream. Maybe a few of each? Will they hybridize? Just kicking it around. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats on the move and new place. Blues tend to be more popular with most people. But it’s all opinion on what you like best.

Cherry shrimp and Blue dream are part of the neocaridina family. They will interbreed together creating mixed genetics. You will get a little blue, a little red, combination of the two but in the end the colony will end up with brown and clear shrimp. Most try to avoid mixing neos for this reason.