Peat balls

I have not, I am assuming your trying to make the water softer? Any reason why you wouldn't use ADA Amazonia or another buffering substrate?

I have a small bag of peat pellets behind my HMF filter and it helps keep the PH steady, and it will lower the Ph too. But you have to

start with just a little bit at a time. It you use too much, it can lower your PH too much at once. I have got to point where I can use just

a small media bag about 1/4 full of peat pellets and it keeps my PH at 6.4 steady. It also has some water flow going through the

media bag too.

I don't fancy swapping the substrate out for ADA Amazonia, I'm currently using TMC nutrasoil as I was working on a budget when initially setting up, and I have had pretty good results with regards to plant growth etc. I was just curious as to whether peat was helpful to maintain a stable ph (mine hovers between 6.8 and 7.......aiming for 6.5) or if anyone had had any negative experiences using it in their shrimp tanks. Thanks for your replys

I used some peat many years ago, since my tap water comes out at 7.6 pH and will generally creep up to 7.8-8.0 in the tank over time. However, recently I've decided to seek alternatives if pH alteration becomes desirable. Peat is a non-renewable resource.

I don't fancy swapping the substrate out for ADA Amazonia, I'm currently using TMC nutrasoil as I was working on a budget when initially setting up, and I have had pretty good results with regards to plant growth etc. I was just curious as to whether peat was helpful to maintain a stable ph (mine hovers between 6.8 and 7.......aiming for 6.5) or if anyone had had any negative experiences using it in their shrimp tanks. Thanks for your replys

I'd toss a few alder cones in the tank add 1 or 2 at a time there little but there also very potent soak them first to leech some tannins out add a few Indian almond leaves and it should put you around 6.5ph there are also product's like lowkey's blackmasterII and Benibachi Fulvic Grains that could help lower/buffer ph. Doc has been using ph buffring organics including peat and it's working out for him so far. I have to agree with chibikaie peat is non renewable resource and harvesting it impacts the environment in a negative way.

I've noticed now that I can take out the small media bag of peat pellets from behind the HMF and my PH has still been holding steady at 6.4.

I have a small cup of alder cones in the tank and added some small pieces of dried organic Mulberry branches. So far the PH has remained

steady at 6.4 for about 4 to 5 days now. So, I think I can get away with not using the Peat Pellets anymore. The shrimp love the Mulberry sticks.

I boiled them for 10 minutes, and let them sit in RO water for a day, and then put them in the tank. I also have oak leaves, Indian Almond

leaves, Mulberry leaves, and stinging needle leaves in my leaf dish. Although they eat up the stinging needle leaves and Mulberry leaves

pretty fast.  I'll keep testing to see if I can get away with no using the peat pellets behind the HMF Filter.

I've used peat purchased at local homedepot / lowes for about $5 for a big bag. Made a invert funnel thingy out of a plastic bottle, packed with peat, and let the water trickle in. My tap water comes out around 7.0 ph, and since the RO system does not alter the ph, I just use the " peat filter " to lower the ph of the final RO water a little bit. 

Alternatively, using the same method, you can create water that is super acidic,( completely yellow in the ph test )  and mix it in slowly with pure RO water till the desired ph is reached. 

I feel like if you have a properly cycled tank that is holding a desired ph of say 6.5, adding pure RO water that is at ph 7.0 during top off won't effect it much. 

What you don't want to do is drastically alter the ph in a short amount of time in a tank with live shrimps, doing so will likely stress and kill them.