newbie -- feeding

Archie1208

Sorry folks -- I have just gotten my first couple of shipment of shrimp (Blue Dreams and Tangerine Tigers).  They have been housed with a few Amanos that came from a community tank.  First off the Amanos appear to be the bullies of the tank...if they are not careful they may

find themselves sleeping with the fishes... however I have for the vast majority of days found that the money shrimp have yet to really eat the offerings.  I do use Glas Garten Bacter AE and their baby food just to have something around the tank.  The vaccuming is becoming a bit of a pain.  How long generally before they discover their food source?  Or should I discontinue the baby food?  Blanched veggies?   Thank you in advance.

Thanks -- what new product do you have that I am buying today?  I love the feeder net -- haven't seen anyone use it yet, but I love it.  The Taiwan looks great and am going to redo my back wall tonight or tomorrow night with the xmas (which is a big difference from what i allowed the first order to get to)  Hoping in other tank to finally get rid of staghorn -- but will have to see.  

Shrimp tanks looks pretty cool so far...just needs some growth to it.  Anxious to see what it looks like in a couple of months.

+1 what Han said.

When I got my first neos (not too long ago) I fed them the second day & they were completely uninterested. I could see them on the glass happily grazing on the biofilm. They now eat on their feed days if they're interested in what's on offer :) They do have some foods that they like more than others, but they always have the biofilm in there.

I also use the feeding nets, which make cleanup much easier.

You should try OmniaPro. This is the ONLY food that my shrimp will fight for. I placed glasgarten shrimp dinner, omniapro, snowflake. They all went for omniapro like a little gang and ignored shrimp dinner and snowflake till it was gone. After OmniaPro was gone, shrimp dinner was eaten and last snowflake. I would only feed them if you don't see them grazing.

You should try OmniaPro. This is the ONLY food that my shrimp will fight for. I placed glasgarten shrimp dinner, omniapro, snowflake. They all went for omniapro like a little gang and ignored shrimp dinner and snowflake till it was gone. After OmniaPro was gone, shrimp dinner was eaten and last snowflake. I would only feed them if you don't see them grazing.

What they like is not always what's best for them, it's like teaching kids to eat vegetables instead of doughnuts :P If you find a food with quality ingredients its worth persevering, they'll get used to it and start eating it eventually.

What they like is not always what's best for them, it's like teaching kids to eat vegetables instead of doughnuts :P If you find a food with quality ingredients its worth persevering, they'll get used to it and start eating it eventually.

True. But don't we all enjoy seeing our little ones flock to a food? People see their shrimps flock to something and ravenously eat it up over another food and instantly assume "oh that other food is bad... This one MUST be better!"

I'll tell you what, given a choice between a bowl of veggie or a bar of ice cream, kids will chose ice cream every time. Probably not the best thing for them, but hey... They're eating it right?

Just my .2¢ but I completely agree with you Red.

Lemme add..

Not saying one is better than the other... Just saying people shouldn't perceive a feeding behavior as signs of good foods vs bad foods. Shrimps will readily eat what you give them (or should if they've been conditioned to). It's up to you to decide what's healthy and unhealthy.