Question about ada

Could I cycle using tap water then switch out to ro? Or should I just use ro from the get go?

I have a bag of ada heading my way and an empty 10g but I haven't finished setting up my ro system (I'd have to drill through a granite countertop so I'm looking for alternatives). So I was wondering if I start things now then switch over to ro once it's all set up, if it would be fine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes you can. I did just use prime or some kind of de chlorinator, straight tap will kill beneficial bacteria . Some people will say it hurt's your buffering capabilities , I say ADA Aquasoil is made to use with tap water and really doesn't affect it using treated tap for a cycle.

Could I cycle using tap water then switch out to ro? Or should I just use ro from the get go?

I have a bag of ada heading my way and an empty 10g but I haven't finished setting up my ro system (I'd have to drill through a granite countertop so I'm looking for alternatives). So I was wondering if I start things now then switch over to ro once it's all set up, if it would be fine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. You'll most likely want to cycle with tap as it offers a better environment for bacterial to grow. Also, you'd save your salts/mineralize agent for when the tank has shrimps.

Note* Tap water CAN be better but it depends on where you live and what your tap parameters are. My buddy lives in San Francisco and his tap is almost the same as RO water. He didn't realized until he was 3mos in and his tank still was not cycled. You need to have around 4-5dgh to start cycling.