10 Gallon Mischling / TB Tank

Hiatus

I finally got everything together in one spot and found a little time to start this tank. I wanted to do a 20L but for 10 Shrimp this will do for now. The Probiotics and Minerals are from hyoushoku and the Double filter and other goodies for latter are from Han. The lights are 5M RBGW 300 LEDS from fleabay. I think everything else is from Drsfoster. Thanks to hyoushoku for Probiotics and Minerals. Thanks to eozen81 for telling me about the LEDS. They are bright and were pretty cheap. Good enough for a low light tank. The Shrimp going in are from Sbarbee.

I may add a few more Shrimp. There are some really nice shrimp you guys and gals have that I really like.

That’s pretty much it. I keep it simple because I have too many tanks already. I built a rack decades ago that I pulled out of storage. I’m going to slowly move the tanks I have spread out in the house to it.

Probiotics and Minerals: Shrimpy Daddy hyoushoku

Substrate: Rio Escuro XF- (1) 15lb Bag

Heater: Jager 50W (Maybe… I’m going to try a smaller one first) Target 75 F.

Lights: Supernight 5M RBGW 300 LEDS with Remote.

Filter: Double Foam Filter from Han

Start Up

pH 5.6

TDS 157

Temp 73.2

2014-11-13_05-59-58_706.jpg

2014-11-13_11-31-04_220.jpg

2014-11-14_12-22-07_109.jpg

2014-11-15_11-58-52_766.jpg

It is cycling as of yesterday. Amazing how clean that substrate is. The last picture is right after I filled the tank. No dust or dirt at all.

I could Insta-cycle this tank, I have many established foam filters and HOB's and canisters. I thought I would let your Probiotics and Minerals do their work on this one.

The water in the last picture is so clear and I thought it is dry. LOL!!!

With established filter, you will still need at least a week or two before the substrate is cycled.

Dose the Revive Vita, Revive Minerals and Revive Vivace accordingly and let me know the condition a week later just before the water change.

By the way, did you sprinkle a tiny bit of crushed wafer or wheat bran powder onto the substrate? 

I love that soil. Water looks clearer than when using ada. Im using it for plants right now. Waiting to see how long buffer lasts to use it for shrimps. Do you know what your gh is at right now?

It's a type of lava sand. I think it will only buffer to pH 6.6 to 6.8.

The interesting part of lava sand is that it releasing both acidic and alkaline compound at the same time; aqua soil will just keep leeching acid. As such, the pH will remain stable that will neither go up nor down.

We had a 12 hour power outage Yesterday / Last Night. I was totally unprepared. If it had gone 24 hours I’m sure I would have been losing Shrimp and Fish. The House dropped to 50F in just 12 hours. The smaller Tanks were getting cold. Probably set this tank back a day or two but I'm not in a hurry.

The water in the last picture is so clear and I thought it is dry. LOL!!!

With established filter, you will still need at least a week or two before the substrate is cycled.

Dose the Revive Vita, Revive Minerals and Revive Vivace accordingly and let me know the condition a week later just before the water change.

By the way, did you sprinkle a tiny bit of crushed wafer or wheat bran powder onto the substrate?

Just a tiny bit of veggie wafer fish food. I checked Total Ammonia and it's around 0.5ppm. I didn't bother checking Nitrites yet.

I love that soil. Water looks clearer than when using ada. Im using it for plants right now. Waiting to see how long buffer lasts to use it for shrimps. Do you know what your gh is at right now?

I didn't check it but I'm guessing with 157 TDS it's right around 7GH.

Good stuff bro. I didn't realized you started a thread. Update us how the Revive Products works out for ya! [emoji1]

Yep, It will be right here.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update. The AC50 filter I was going to use got a chip at the motor mount and was leaking. So I thought I would just use the double sponge filter and leave it at that. It wasn't long until hyoushoku caught my mistake and gently reminded me I was duplicating his failed course sponge experiment. This was true because this tank was absolutely refusing to start up biologically. I think the super low pH of 5.6 was holding things up some also. So I ordered a proper filter and held the cycle progression at  hyoushoku's day 7 instructions until the canister filter caught up.

11/27/14 Installed canister with polywool, biorings and carbon.

12/8/14 Nitrite production started, 0ppm to 5ppm overnight. OK, maybe I added a little too much wafer in the beginning. :)

12/9/14 80% water change, Added plants and changed carbon and polywool in filter.

Ammonia continues to drop and Nitrites are up. I'll check Nitrates once the Nitrites start to drop. I have noticed a significant biofilm on the glass and plastic parts. Not a thick spongy one but, it was visible during water change.

I don't think I'm going to need Aragonite. The pH came up and is staying around 6.6 - 6.8.

The Anubias Nana Petite is from Miwu.

2014-12-09_06-50-38_47.jpg