TDS a bit too high?

So in my 10 gallon I have red rilli and beautiful CRS and goldens purchased from Mayphly.  However, I am concerned about how high my TDS is - 183

The shrimp seem to be doing very well - eating like crazy, curious, active

PH 7.1

GH 6

Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all 0

I know Mayphly usually keeps his crs tanks at 150.  I have done top offs with straight ro water with no remineralizer.  But TDS still stays 180 to 183

I have black sand, driftwood, fissiden & java moss, IAL leaves, mulberry leaves, feed a variety of goodies. 

Should I do a 10% wc with remineralizer to 150? Or will that not help the tds? Maybe 10% wc with straight ro?  What do my gurus think?

post-414-0-17555500-1418334195_thumb.jpg

If it aint broken don't fix it.

In the case of TDS issues I would do pure RO water. You don't want to drop 180 to 150 in one go since this would cause more damage then help lol. So do maybe a small WC of maybe 1/2 a gallon or ~5% to keep the change slow. 

Other things you might want to consider is if you have TDS going up quickly in a week's time then try to limit feeding since food can bump that TDS up specially if using powder foods.

Yeah, Green - that's the thing - nothing seems broken - except that number.  When everyone arrived I did a very slow drip acclimation because I knew they were coming from a lower tds.  That was about 3 weeks ago.  I see no reason to do a water change - except maybe for the tds.  I know some shrimpers like to do a weekly 10% water change, but I also know these little guys like stability.  I like your recommendation of just doing 5% of ro only.   And I will limit feeding.  Thanks.

I keep all my shrimps in TDS that is above 200 and no issue.

TDS is not a concern for your tank. I am more concern about your pH.

How old is this tank? Your tank looks pretty new to me. In new tank, the microbes are not fully establish, and frequently you will get ammonia/ammonium spike. With higher pH, especially above 6.8, the ammonia ratio will be quite high.

How long have the shrimps resided in the tank?

For your case, I will suggest not to change anything. Just reduce feeding for about a month or so. This will let the microbe colony stabilise.

Just ignore the TDS. Other than it let you know how well the water conduct electricity (which pretty useless by looking it's value alone), it does not tell you much other useful information.

If see the shrimp completed the first moult in the tank, you should perform the first WC a week later.

My usual practice is to perform frequent (weekly or bi-weekly, which depending on the tank size and colony size) WC to maintain water quality that is not measurable but any test kit. When water quality turns bad, the shrimp may start dying one by one very fast and you can't tell what is the problem. End up, you may need to perform water restart, which could have big impact.