water specs using two scoops of SS 8.5 for 5g of RO

I still do not have a co2 setup yet for dissolving SS 8.5

So I have 5g of RO water, used two level scoops of SS, run a circulation pump for about a week and of course there are still remnants of the powder. Test results, GH 7-8, KH 5, TDS 130.

My question is, do I need to add "TDS UP" until I reach about 225-ish?

Ok just finished my 2nd attempt to dissolve 2 scoops of 8.5 in 5g this time with co2 and this is what I'm measuring:

Ph 7.7

Gh 7

Tds 155

I don't know if tds needs to be higher. Not sure why ph is low but I don't have a lot of confidence in my cheap ph pen.

Weird. Would the carbon dioxide need to off gas before you get a good pH reading?

When I try to measure pH, I get variable results depending on which test I use, often +/- an entire point. So that could definitely be a factor.

My ph pen was off a bit. After recalibration and air stone all night I'm getting 8.1 ph on the mix. My $24 fluval co2 seems to do the trick. It took one whole 20g co2 cart but I ran it for almost 3 days 24/7.

The kit comes with a 20g cylinder , but you can use 16g threaded co2 used for bike pumps and BB guns that are about $2 ea

So I bought:.

Fluval Mini Pressurized 20g-CO2 Kit

Fluval 88g-CO2 Bubble Counter

I used an airstone as diffuser only because the real one is not hear yet ( Fluval Ceramic 88g-CO2 Diffuser)

The kit comes with enough co2 tubing to connect the counter then I used regular airline from the counter to the airstone.

I have to laugh at myself. In another thread I argued how these BB gun co2 rigs were a waste of money and it was better to just spend the money on a full 5lb rig.... But then I talked myself into trying this first. Since water changes are infrequent for sulawesi tanks I figured a few bucks to make new water once in awhile wasnt bad. Storing and setting up this little contraption is a lot easier than a full rig. One annoying thing is that you have to adjust the valve every few hours. As the co2 is used the pressure drops so the bubbles stop and you have to open it up a little more each time.

Can I ask what the GH and KH of the reconstituted Sulawesi 8.5 are, please?

I have a batch of chocolate rabbit snails on order, and although rabbit snails are adaptable, I did see one site that recommended a KH of 10 to maintain the calcerous covering on the shells.

My gh is 6 not sure on kh but the salty 8.5 setup a ratio between gh and kh. I'll measure tonight. Reading the link in your other post, rabbit snails are found in.... Lake Towuti: Temperature 29.2°C/84.6°F; pH 8.4; GH 6; KH 4; conductivity 146 µS/m; oxygen 7.15 mg/l. So a kh of 4 is normal for them. Just make sure to feed them veggies and other food with high calcium.

There are several different species, all from different locales in Sulawesi. The ones I've been trying to pin down are from a river near Lake Poso, and not in one of the three lakes. The area is described as having a large amount of calcium oxide (!!!) in the water.

I'm just curious about the 8.5 mix now that I'm reading more and more about Sulawesi.

Hmm didn't realize the rabbit snails came from different environments. I gave several colors but no idea of proper names or where they came from. I see a need for a chart with pics and parameters ! Where do you get calcium oxide?

If you think shrimp taxonomy is unclear, well, some of the snail species haven't even been described. Or they hadn't been when the article had been written. Or they have different names in other languages - Google Translate is my new best friend.

Calcium oxide and calcium hydroxide are both used to make Kalkwasser/limewater for reef aquaria - CaO releases a lot more heat and essentially becomes CaOH, which then reacts with atmospheric carbon dioxide to form calcium carbonate. You can get food grade calcium hydroxide as pickling lime.