Newbie cherry question

pemako

Totally new to shrimp. I bought 5 amanos and 5 LFS cherries 2 months ago or so, and now I have about 526 cherries  :startle: . I've been mystified by the appearance in my tank of guys that look like this. I just saw something very much like this guy over on Planted Tank that was identified as a wild cherry. Do cherry breeding populations throw the wild form occasionally? And I have a couple of camera shy shrimp that look more tigerish than this one--are they wild cherries too? Hard to know how they could be anything else since I haven't put anything but cherries and amanos in the tank, but they don't look like cherries at all.

Thanks!

post-1445-0-26710000-1424194511_thumb.jp

Were the cherries you purchased a low grade? Are they barely red with striping like that?  I have seen chocolate neos throw shrimp that looked like that but never cherries, no matter what grade I have they always make more red offspring. That being said the offspring can be much lower grade with very poor red coverage and stripes.

My wilds breed and grow much faster then my cherrys, if your wilds continue to live with your cherrys the wild gene is Dom and you will eventually end up with all wilds. But you might already have f2 or even f3 of red cherry that's been crossed with wild and it will be hard to find out which ones are already throwing wilds you need to remove those as well. Start selective breeding your bright reds or even beter start over with cherrys that came from a reputable source.

My lps store sold me 3 wilds as blues I new they were not blue velvets or rillis so lucky for me I kept them separated and waited for them to grow up and identified them as wilds. I keep my wilds in my newt tanks.