how to tell when a shrimp is ready to molt

monty703

OK so this was brought up on another post, and I have to admit, until I actually see the shrimp

bending in two I don't know when a shrimp is ready to molt.  Ive been told that once you see the saddle

forming they are ready....however Ive had my females saddle and not molt???

I would love to be able to co-ordinate a female that is getting ready with selecting a male for

her.  Any pictures too would be very much appreciated.

Depends on the type and tank I guess but I would pair them up as soon as I see a saddle.

My PRL berry up with in a couple of days of releasing their last baby.  I recently wanted to moved a female from one PRL tank to the next but I didn't want any of the offspring from the original tank in the new one.  So I waited till she started to release babies and I moved her into a breeding box.  As soon as I noticed he no longer holding, I dripped and moved her to the new tank.  Like clock work, she was berried in the next couple of days.  So know your shrimp of just pair them up early.  

How do you see the saddle through shells with thick/dark coloration? I just ordered a couple large breeder boxes yesterday so I was wondering the same as monty. I haven't had my TBs long enough to know their schedule yet, the one I did have release her eggs was berried again within the week but for the first time berry Im not sure

OK help us dummies out here, there has to be someone experienced enough that can actually tell other than the saddle

when a female is likely to molt.  My female is in the box with a male and she's got a big saddle and Ive dosed with Eros

and they danced but NO molts.  What now...dim the lights, put on Enya? 

You can see when they are about ready to molt by the dulling of their color and shell appearance.  I combine that look with when males start freaking out, then look for the female that looks to be hiding. Those two indicators have never failed me.

Yes, i do the same as Rye. Once I see males dancing I look for a female who is kinda hiding and being mostly motionless. It takes a lot of energy for a shrimp to molt so you will see them being much less active before they molt. Have been pretty lucky to be around when males start dancing, maybe 80% of the time, my wife who stays home with my son has also become very good at spotting females about to molt.