Low Survial Rates

I had my first batch of TB babies born on February 11th and until last night had a 100% survival rate. I came home and found one of the shrimplets dead, very odd but im hoping that was just a random death so im not that concerned. The main issue is the two batches of babies born since February 0 survival.  I have tested all my paramers. When my Golden Bee gave birth my TDS was pretty high about 200 and I was pretty sure they all died within the first week because of molting issues. The last batch of TB babies were born about a week ago and within a week I cant see any of them anymore. My tank currently has a pH of 6.4, TDS of 160, gH 4, kH 0. N02, No3 and Amonia 0.  I am kind of stumped, the only conclusion I am reaching for the last batch is maybe pH? When my first batch of TB were born the pH was 6.2 and has slowly raised in the last month to 6.4 maybe 6.5.  When the babies are born I have been dosing a small amount of Bacter and started small amounts of Boss baby food.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Ryan

RyeGuy sorry for your losses. I would say all water parameters look spot on, it is weird to see an established shrimp tank with 0 nitrates? My nitrates are never 0 in my established aquariums. Also what is your temperature at, I would assume in NY your safe but would like to know to help analyze.

What minerals do you dose, and what substrate are you using? 

My temp is 76 I raised it to shorten breeding times from 72 the nitrates are zero because of the purigen. I does the Shrimpy Daddy products so daily Revive Vita and Colore then alternate weeks Revive minerals and Vivace. My substrate is Up Aqua shrimp sand. Tank has been up since November 4th.

No hydra or planaria this tank was dosed heavily with FenBen back in early december when I thought there might have been planaria. Turns out it was not planaria, nothing has been added to this tank since then all plants wood and rocks have not changed since december 4th.

Yeah at 72 I had near 100% survival increased the temp since and each subsequent batch has vanished. I do feed them by dosing the tank with Bacter starting a couple days before they are born then after a week or so I start dosing small amounts of Boss baby food.

Yeah at 72 I had near 100% survival increased the temp since and each subsequent batch has vanished. I do feed them by dosing the tank with Bacter starting a couple days before they are born then after a week or so I start dosing small amounts of Boss baby food.

Hi RyeGuy,

Few questions to ask you:

1. How long is this tank been setup?

2. How much food you feed your shrimp and what type of food?

3. The baby usually die on which week after it is born?

Sounds like lowering the temp is a good idea. This has the added benefit of more dissolved oxygen :)

I don't know about FenBen, but when I was researching NoPlanaria, I found accounts of it affecting reproduction in RCS. I cannot confirm that, as I was not about to count the eggs and babies after I dosed ;)

Perhaps the fact that you dosed heavily and/or have wood in the tank?

Sounds like lowering the temp is a good idea. This has the added benefit of more dissolved oxygen :)

Actually, this is kind of a myth. The amount of oxygen dissolved at 20C (68F) vs 26C (78.8F) is not significant (only about 1ppm). Here is a chart that illustrate the solubility of oxygen vs temperature:

WQassess3fPICT1.gif

There will not be significant increment unless you go below 15C. For shrimp tank, the best way to prevent respiratory problem is still with proper aeration/ water surface agitation. 

So the tank was set up November 4th, I feed many types of food some boss baby food, Han foods, CSF nettle, dandelion and Omnia pro MK black diamond and cheeseburger. I feed very tiny amounts like 1-2mm of a pellet cut up small evey couple days. The shrimp go crazy and eat all foods within a couple hours. They usually die within the first week,I stop seeing them after about 4-5 days.

I wonder if your ambient room temperature has something to do with it. Do you have large temperature swings in the house? I know where you live it gets pretty cold. The change in room temps can certainly affect the survival rate of babies.

mayphly is right. Temperature swing is the one number one silent killer. Do you have heater in the tank?

Other than this, look at this article: http://www.shrimpydaddy.com/pages/how-to-analyse-low-shrimplet-survival-rate

Since you encounter this problem and it is a very common problem, I quickly wrote it in the past two hours to help you troubleshoot.

I believe that night time temps can drop faster in a room than your tank heater can keep up with heating the water. This is especially true if you don't have a set temp for your house heater. I never turn the heater on in our house. I Always here about it too from the wife and kids. But hey, that's what sweaters are for. I love being the bad guy! :devil:

There isn't any temp swings, my room is in a basement. I have an indoor outdoor wireless color thermometer in my room and the temp in my room never changes by more then half a degree over a 24hr period. I have a heater that keeps the tank extremely consistent.