nitrate sucking plants - options?

Crazyfishlady

I hate frog bit... can I just say that again? But... maybe I need to learn to just live with it. I've heard it is great at sucking up the nitrates.. 

I have one tank with floramax substrate so I can 'plant' plants but the others have sand and I will not use CO2 or ferts in my tanks.

So.. with those parameters, does anyone have any recommendations for good plants that will use up nitrates?

I do like water spangles but so do my snowball shrimp, they eat them faster than they can grow... ha ha

Ideally, you'd want a fast-growing stem plant that doesn't mind cooler water. I have used Ludwigia repens x arcuata for that, grew nicely with Floramax and low light. I did dose potassium and a few other nutrients. Dosing iron would turn the tops red. No CO2. Many stems like slightly warmer water - water sprite is a bust at 68 F but growing like mad at 80 F. I used to have a few rotalas, but I think they needed more light, warmth, or possibly both.

I'm not sure how fast of a grower something like pygmy chain sword would be, or how much it liked cool water, but it is something to consider as it does well as long as you give it root tabs.

I love duckweed, personally, but most people hate it. It grows readily with minimal fertilization (just potassium seems to be all it needs). I do think, from my observations, that to use up more of the available nitrogen, you should consider adding a source of potassium. Plants will stop growing if they run out of other nutrients, even if lots of nitrogen/nitrate are available.

Salvinia minima is my favorite plant in a shrimp tank. It doesn't take over and get messy like duckweed. The roots aren't as long as frogbit and the root mass is so dense it can hold plenty of food for shrimp to graze in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salvinia minima is my favorite plant in a shrimp tank. It doesn't take over and get messy like duckweed. The roots aren't as long as frogbit and the root mass is so dense it can hold plenty of food for shrimp to graze in.

Agree with salvinia. I don't like frogbit either.

I love dwarf water lettuce. Personally I just trim the roots. In a few weeks they are six inches again. It doesn't seem to hurt the plant. When I say trim I go to half inch.

Hornwort and camboba are two others that come to mind not mentioned.

I do have elodea in another tank, but I want to put it in my tanks with just sand, that should be ok right? My elodea grows like made in my substrate tank.

I love water spangles but my snowballs ate them all, ha ha

I will look into the others, thank you all!

I'm going to be getting some floaters... from Han :) and I'm also clipping some of the elodea from my other tank to use in the others.

My snowballs love to snatch floating plants, drag them down and eat them, so I need to keep up. They don't eat the elodea though...luckily

I have the opposite problem now. I had to order potassium nitrate because I finally received the nitrate test kit that I had ordered months ago - and both of my tanks have zeroed out. No wonder my plants aren't growing!