How long do I cycle before I do a water change?

Keiris

My tank is 4 days old my parameters are

Ammonia. 1.0

nitrite 0

nitrate. 10

gh. 8

kh. 0

p.h 6.0

tds. Meter coming tomorrow

the guy at the lps advice me to do a 75% tap 25% ro because I had 0 kh. Also telling me to do a 50% water change... I am so confused now.

We are going to put michlings in this tank...

Also will all this white stuff disappear?

post-1864-0-42336200-1430781876_thumb.jp

Why do you have nitrates already? What water are you adding to this tank is it a mix of tap and RO? If you dont have nitrates in your source water you would not have nitrates in your tank after four days.

There is no "One Way" is the best when it comes to answering your question. Ultimately it depends. I usually do (2) 33% WC 1st week, (2) 25% WC 2nd week, and (1) 25% WC the 3rd week. This works well for me, and after the fourth week I begin testing water parameters.

Why do you have nitrates already? What water are you adding to this tank is it a mix of tap and RO? If you dont have nitrates in your source water you would not have nitrates in your tank after four days.

I was using a 50% ro 50% tap mix.. 

I was using a 50% ro 50% tap mix.. 

Have you tested your tap water for nitrates? Are you using the API nitrate test? And if so did you shake and bang the living crap out of bottle # 2?

Have you tested your tap water for nitrates? Are you using the API nitrate test? And if so did you shake and bang the living crap out of bottle # 2?

My test kit just arrived I am working on that right now Rye

I guess it wouldnt hurt to cycle with that tap water, I did one Controsoil tank with 20%Tap 80% RO then switched to 100% RO after two weeks. The Controsoil tank I set up a week ago I filled with straight tap water and on day 14 I will switch to 100% RO. I have found with Controsoil multiple large water changes the first couple weeks arent needed since the soil does not leech ammonia. I would only reccomend doing water changes if your ammonia gets to high as Den said. I check to make sure my ammonia doesnt go above 2 ppm which cycling with Shrimpy Daddy Sinewy Cereal as directed in his cycling plan it never has.