Adding a filter

I just bought a small double-sponge filter (XY-2831), which I would like to add to my 10-gallon RCS tank. It currently has an HOB filter with this prefilter sponge http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/swatch_image.cfm?window=1∏=21426&ranknum=3&thumbid=7167&thumbpage=1&list=7167,7168,7169&breeds=1 but it doesn't flow well, so I just get a trickle flowing out of my HOB. I intend to leave it in place so I don't upset my cycle, and I would like to just add in the new sponge filter. I currently have it soaking in some old tank water just to saturate it. Is there anything else I need to consider before just adding it to my tank?

I just rinse in tank water and add it. Clean the glass well so the suction cups stay.

Why is your HOB so restricted. Did you clean the prefilter and sponge? Is it purging air properly (do you see a bubble in the inlet tube)? I would find the problem because it's not going to cycle if there's no flow going through it.

I just rinse in tank water and add it. Clean the glass well so the suction cups stay.

Why is your HOB so restricted. Did you clean the prefilter and sponge? Is it purging air properly (do you see a bubble in the inlet tube)?

It's been like this since the beginning. If I clean the prefilter it helps a little, but only for a few days.

And yes, good call - there is a bubble in the horizontal portion of the tube. No matter what I do, it keeps coming back. I think it's too close to the bubbler and it's sucking up small bubbles (nowhere to move it, though).

Surprise!

I just lifted out my HOB filter media to rinse it out, and a full-grown male shrimp came tumbling out! He looked completely dazed and confused.

Could he possibly have been in the filter for months since I last washed out the media?? How could he have gotten in there? I hope he makes it!

It's been like this since the beginning. If I clean the prefilter it helps a little, but only for a few days.

And yes, good call - there is a bubble in the horizontal portion of the tube. No matter what I do, it keeps coming back. I think it's too close to the bubbler and it's sucking up small bubbles (nowhere to move it, though).

Have you tried testing without the prefilter? Maybe it's too restrictive.

Usually if I get a bubble in the intake pipe, I can just switch the power on and off a couple times or cycle between max and min flow and it clears itself out. If I can't clear the bubble, I know my prefilter is too clogged.

Also check the air purge hole in the plate beside the impeller to make sure it's not blocked (assuming its an aquaclear).

I find them in my HOB all the time this guys are ninjas at climbing random stuff in the tank. He should be find just give him time to settle back in.

This is insane. Between finding dried up amanos in my dining room and RCS in their HOB filter, I am going to be worried about rogue shrimp everywhere!

Have you tried testing without the prefilter? Maybe it's too restrictive.

Usually if I get a bubble in the intake pipe, I can just switch the power on and off a couple times or cycle between max and min flow and it clears itself out. If I can't clear the bubble, I know my prefilter is too clogged.

Also check the air purge hole in the plate beside the impeller to make sure it's not blocked (assuming its an aquaclear).

I have not tested without the prefilter, since there is no way I can run that filter without it. I managed to mostly clear the bubble, but the flow hasn't changed much. Just a slow light flow.

The sponge filter is now up and running, so I will probably eventually get rid of the HOB anyway (or just replace all the filter media inside with a bag of prime). How long would you wait to make sure the new filter is fully seeded and able to handle the tank on its own?

I'd say at least 4 weeks, just to be safe.