Moss not growing well

Lyana

Hi all, I have a 10 gallon TB tank that I put peacock moss in a couple months ago. I tied it to a rock.

The tank has a finnex stringray for lighting and I have matrix and purigen in the filter.

A lot of the moss has died and the parts that are still alive haven't grown much. I have other plants in the tank, a sword and Anubis and they are doing good.

I thought moss was supposed to be easy! Does this type need higher lighting? was also wondering if the matrix and purigen take all the nutrients out of the water and leave nothing for the moss.

Zeolite - manticore is using the German spelling I believe. Its used to absorb ammonia among other things and is present in a lot of activated carbon mixes. Purigen could be starving the plant, moss is on the surface just receiving its nutrients from the water itself. Do the plants that are doing well have roots that have dug into the substrate? I have the same problem growing floaters in my fish tank and my mosses grow at half rate compared to those in my fish tank.

Ah! I don't have plain zeolite but not sure if the purigen has some. My nitrates are also 0 when I test.

Yes, the ludwigia and sword are growing good and not dying and they have roots in the controsoil. Maybe I should take out the purigen and matrix and see if the moss grows better.

I have my lights on a timer for 8 hours a day. I have excel I could try. Is easy carbo better for shrimp?

post-1624-0-99718400-1434380895_thumb.jppost-1624-0-79299200-1434380935_thumb.jp

Not sure why the pictures are upside down. They look right on my iPad.

Purigen does cause problems with moss. A buddy of mine has purigen in all his tanks and he has to add nutirents for the moss or they all turn brown and die. He said if he removes the purigen the moss grows fine but when added it slowly starves them. His been doing it for quite a few years so he figured out the culprit was the purigen. 

I dont know about the purigen almost every shirmper I know keeps purigen in their tanks and we all grow super healthy moss with little or no added fertilizers. Just good old shrimp poop. I add trace elemnts 2 drops in a 10g every two days and thats it for any additives. That could be the difference and I guess it would hurt to try adding some Seachem Trace or similar product every couple days and see if that makes a difference.

I dosed excel for a while and if I dosed 1/4 the reccomended amount they were fine but went up to half strenght and killed fissidens. Tried full strength for an algae outbreak and it killed other mosses.

I dosed excel for a while and if I dosed 1/4 the reccomended amount they were fine but went up to half strenght and killed fissidens. Tried full strength for an algae outbreak and it killed other mosses.

My tank isn't heavily planted, so I have been dosing ½ strength as well. It's killing my weeping moss bad! But, my flame moss seems to be struggling on.  I never thought it would be the Excel. 

there is too little water movement down there at the moss, it would be better more water movement...

Hmm, didn't think of that but you're right, it's not getting much flow. I'll move my filter output

I have moss in all shrimp, tanks with purigen, no CO2, no added ferts, no excel, varied light timing and they grow like mad. I also have cheap lights on my tanks... lol

Is the moss new to the tank? It could be that the old/previous growth is dying off as it adjusts to your tank water. 

My tanks have been in black out mode the last few days (like only about 2 hours or less of lights) because of a heat wave and I've had no problems.

With all of that said, I have put new moss in tanks and had some of it turn brown because of the adjustment to new water, but the new parts grow out just fine.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

The moss has been in the tank for a couple months, at first it didn't grow at all, then it started dying, now it's growing some new shoots just slowly.

I have a vase with Java moss in my window that didn't grow at first but now it's taking over the vase. Does moss sometimes take months to start growing well?