Can fresh water shrimp hear?

r45t4m4n

Wondering because I am having windows installed and it is very loud in the shrimp room. Hope they are not being too stressed.

I think they can sense vibrations in the water, when its loud in my room or someone shouts, they dont get startled like fish do, when you knock the tank or tap of it, they popcorn. Also I wonder if they can see well. I think one of mine is going blind, he used to see food pellets dropping and would run to it, but now he moves his little claws around like a blind person with a walking stick sometimes missing the pellet..

The shrimps body is covered with thousands of individual sensing pores. The pores have tiny vibration sensing hairs in each one and also detect chemicals scents in the water column. So they do inded hear from vibration and since sound waves actually travel better in a thicker medium like water the sound (vibration) is pobably more intense.

They made it through the install without any issues, did a 20% water change afterwards.