Need help with water parameters

I have sapphire blue diamonds, crs, and cbs with eco complete substrate. I've never tested water until now since they've always bred and done well for me. However, I am now looking into Taiwan Bees and the seller was kind enough to refuse selling me any until I get my water right...lol.

So I bought a test kit and the water is gh 7, kh 6, and Tds 180. I'm told I need an active substrate but I want to avoid a major overhaul if possible since all my current shrimp are thriving.

I have an RO machine and the water comes out gh 1, kh 1. I also bought MK Blue Diamond.

What can I do to lower kh and gh a bit without shocking my current shrimp and get it ready for Taiwan Bees? Is this even feasible with Eco complete or must I go with active substrate? Onc I lower parameters, will Sapphire Blue Diamonds struggle?

Please help...thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is your pH? RO water with gh 1 and kh1 ? When is the last time you changed the membranes? Those should be 0 and 0. Your easiest option would be to swtich to %100 pure RO water and remineralizer. Then add a small amount of filter peat. How big is your tank? 

Ph is 6.8, 12 gallon tank, and it's time for me to change the sediment and carbon filter in the RO unit but the membrane is fresh.

Maybe I'm not doing the test right...I add one drop of the Api GH and KH test solution in each vial of RO water and they change colors. I figured 1 drop equals KH and GH of 1. How would I measure 0?

Phreeflow,

I would revisit the testing procedure for gh and kh.

If I remember, your first drop of kh test will turn water blue. From there, it's how many drops until the solution turns yellow.

For gh, first drop goes orange. Then it's how many drops until it goes green.

I don't think your diamond neos will be happy in the water you want to achieve. If you have the space and budget, I'd set up a 20 gal just for your new shrimp. I know that's probably not what you want to hear....

From almost everything I have read here, if you want to see your shrimps thrive and populate to appreciable numbers, give each what they really want, otherwise one group will suffer. I don't keep caridina species yet, but word around the tank is that an active substrate is the way to go for them.

+1 to your seller! Sounds like they really care about you being happy with your purchase in the long run.

On second thought, I think I misread your post!

Sorry if I blabbed on about the gh/kh testing.

Actually, I wrote the post wrong so it was confusing. I'm glad you caught that. I meant to say that I put in one drop of indicator solution in each vial, then I put another drop in and my RO water changes colors so my RO is gh 1, kh 1. Hmmm wonder why my RO unit is not working right.

Phreeflow,

I would revisit the testing procedure for gh and kh.

If I remember, your first drop of kh test will turn water blue. From there, it's how many drops until the solution turns yellow.

For gh, first drop goes orange. Then it's how many drops until it goes green.

Can anyone confirm this to be true? I've always counted the first drop to be included in the gH and kH value.

All the instructions say is this

"The KH value is determined by the number of drops of test solution that must be added to turn the water in the test tube bright yellow."