Bottled water

The minerals arent harmful but you are topping off with hard water. If you had to use bottled water of some kind you would want to use distilled or RO bottled water. WalMart sells "drinking water" that is RO filtered and has TDS of around 4.

Do a full on water test on that bottle of Aquafina for us Amanda. (Kiddin'). I'm kinda curious though...

Rye, I wonder if those minerals are Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, Potassium... (Just like my bottle of Blue Wizzy.) Aquafina could be Blue Wizard "Lite". :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would start by testing the water parameters. I personally would not attempt this. If your introducing a bottle of water to a 40g breeder you would see minimal effects if water parameters checked out. On the other hand if your adding a bottle of water to a 5g then you could be doing quite a bit of harm dependent on the outcome of your testing.

The minerals arent harmful but you are topping off with hard water. If you had to use bottled water of some kind you would want to use distilled or RO bottled water. WalMart sells "drinking water" that is RO filtered and has TDS of around 4.

That's what I usually purchase. I think I pay 80 cents for a gallon. I ran out yesterday and forgot to run to Walmart. I'm making a trip there this evening. I'll just top off when I get home.

My daughter tested 20 different types of drinking water for her science project a few years back. The results varied all over the board. They are all different. I think Avion had the highest of all mineral content. There were a couple that were just right for shrimp. I just can't remember which ones. I'll check later tonight.

Here's the tds results for a few drinking waters that were tested. Because their tds is low I'd choose one of these for my shrimp.

Aquafina TDS- 0

Arrowhead Distilled TDS- 0

Penta  TDS- 0

Green Planet TDS- 3

711 Purified water  TDS 5

Evian TDS = 277

Sorry for the upside down pics. Don't know why this happens sometimes

post-89-0-36134700-1436485637_thumb.jpg

post-89-0-00594800-1436485649_thumb.jpg

post-89-0-50551600-1436485783_thumb.jpg

Here's the tds results for a few drinking waters that were tested. Because their tds is low I'd choose one of these for my shrimp.

Aquafina TDS- 0

Arrowhead Distilled TDS- 0

Penta TDS- 0

Green Planet TDS- 3

711 Purified water TDS 5

Evian TDS = 277

Sorry for the upside down pics. Don't know why this happens sometimes

Thanks for the info! Now I'll know what to grab if I'm in this predicament again! :)