how to lower pH in fish tank (and raise KH)

sarah

My 20 gallon long fish tank has a pH of 7.8. The KH is 2, and GH is 5. I use tapwater for water changes.

I would like to slowly get that pH to 7 if I can. Can this be done with fluval granulated peat in the HOB filter? How much?

And will this have any effect on the KH? I would like to raise that a bit if I can.

Tank currently houses: 7 black neon tetras, 2 cory catfish, 2 african dwarf frogs, 2 amano shrimp.

I have zero kh in my tank without any problems, the fish are beautiful. I have ottos, blue rams, neon tetras and danios. in my experience with peat in my 5 gallon it didn't lower kh or ph much at all.

What's wrong with the parameters? 

I have a sick black neon tetra. It has started swimming in clockwise circles quite a bit, and it is slightly bent. I can't figure out what's causing it, so all I can think is that the water is not in its ideal pH or KH range.

That's more likely to be disease related than parameters not being ideal. You will cause more stress to the fish by changing things and forcing him to compensate for a change while he is already sick.

I tend to agree with this.

I've got bloodfin tetras and they ALL develop a bend in the spine and eventually perish. (not all at once)

my pH is 7.0 to 7.6ish

I've got bloodfin tetras and they ALL develop a bend in the spine and eventually perish. (not all at once)

my pH is 7.0 to 7.6ish

Interesting. Do they exhibit any other symptoms? Approx how long does it take for them to succumb after you notice the bend?

Interesting. Do they exhibit any other symptoms? Approx how long does it take for them to succumb after you notice the bend?

Oh shoot, I really don't keep track, actually. Weeks to maybe a few months. I'd also guess that the bend gets worse with time. They also don't feed as actively (probably depends on how bent they are) and generally don't swim around the tank as much as other bloodfins. Sad to watch, of course.

Yours not swimming straight is not a good sign.(sorry)

Oh shoot, I really don't keep track, actually. Weeks to maybe a few months. I'd also guess that the bend gets worse with time. They also don't feed as actively (probably depends on how bent they are) and generally don't swim around the tank as much as other bloodfins. Sad to watch, of course.

Yours not swimming straight is not a good sign.(sorry)

I know - it's heartbreaking  :(

I have done 30% water changes 2 days in a row since I read somewhere it might be nitrate-related. Just grasping at straws right now.

I still think I'd like to bring down that pH a bit since everything in the tank has a slightly acidic preference.

• 2 weeks later...

my pH is 7.0 to 7.6ish

Weird, I keep getting neon Tetras doing the same thing with a ph of 6.5 (I inject co2)