What would cause paleness?

maylee

Just curious what could cause paleness in shrimp, specifically neos. Is it mostly stress? I've brought home fire reds from the LFS where they looked fine. After bringing them home and drip acclimating them for a couple of hours, I can see a couple of them look like they've lost a lot of color, mostly in their head region. It's not a full body paleness. Their back half looks fine.

I wish I could get a clear picture but I'll try another time if needed.

I'd be taking a close look at your water composition compared to the LFS.  Pay particular attention to the TDS, GH, and KH.   I always test the water I bring home animals for all parameters before I acclimate them.  Depending on the situation I may work to modify the water I have to be a closed match to the water they arrived with.  

I would just keep an eye on them, if you drip acclimated them for a couple of hours, and you have checked water parameters such as Nitrate, Nitrite, and Ammonia then they should color back up.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been noticing a few more of my shrimp losing some of their colour. These guys have been in the tank for over two months now and my water parameters have been very stable the entire time. So, I don't know if it actually is stress or if there's any chance perhaps they were just fed colour enhancers at some point or something.

I thought I would see some colour coming back every once in a while but I'm not 100% sure.

I can't rule out stress or something wrong though since I still haven't seen any berries. However, I have had berried females from the store give birth and the shrimplet survival rate seems great. I have babies everywhere, just not ones that were a result of berries while in my tank. Molts are happening often now as well.

7.6 ph

ammonia/nitrites/nitrates 0/0/0

150 TDS

gh 7

kh 3

water has been RO with salty shrimp gh/kh from the start, no tap.

feeding as been every few days consisting of various leaf litter, shirakura ebi dama, borneowild grow, blanched kale.

I've had maybe.... 3 deaths total since the start. There's probably well over 30-40 in there now including the fry. Other than losing color, they seem to act normally.

Thanks for any and all input. Sorry for the poor pictures.

post-1689-0-80826100-1441946287_thumb.jp

post-1689-0-24395400-1441946293_thumb.jp

hey maylee,

my advie maybe relevant or probably not relevant in your case im guessing - anyway i have found that when im doing heavier feeding of artificial foods (whether longer feeding sessions and/or more frequent feedings) the colour of my shrimps is less vibrant than when they get to graze natural foods only.

Have you been feeding more than you used to perhaps? ime an easy way to tell if im feeding more than necessary is if there has been an ncrease in snail population lol.

love n peace

will

edit- just noticed you had only got them recently. u can probably safely ignore my post in your case but it might still be food for thought. :-)