Cycling a new tank

Hey guys,

It's been a long time since I've cycled a tank proper and it was for fish (which are probably a thousand times more resilient than shrimp) so I'm not sure what to expect from my tank. The current water parameters are as follows:

Ammonia: 0.25ppm

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate:30ppm

pH: 6.4

Currently housing 2 tetras and a bristlenose starlight pleco.

My tank has begun to smell, is this normal? And how long would it take for the bacteria to kick in?

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk

Are you adding any bacteria supplement like Seachem Stability or Tetra SafeStart?

Nope not that I know of. I did however add a layer of Borneo wild balance before adding the substrate if that counts?

Are you adding any bacteria supplement like Seachem Stability or Tetra SafeStart?

Hmm okay. Any idea how much water in supposed to change and how often?

I'd do about 10-15% depending on how high your ammonia is. Just keep an eye on your ammonia levels and that should tell you when you should do a water change. Too much water changes will stress out the fish, but so is high levels of ammonia. This is why I stopped doing fish cycling :(

I'd do about 10-15% depending on how high your ammonia is. Just keep an eye on your ammonia levels and that should tell you when you should do a water change. Too much water changes will stress out the fish, but so is high levels of ammonia. This is why I stopped doing fish cycling :(

Yeah, I decided to remove my fish. They did their job of introducing ammonia to my water column

Yeah for that I'll be getting white cloud mountain minnows for that. My neons have suffered enough imo

How about a bottle of this instead? http://www.amazon.com/DrTims-Aquatics-Ammonium-chloride-bottle/dp/B006MP4QG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449437370&sr=8-1&keywords=dr+tims+ammonia

More precise and much less cruel :)

That is great but what sucks is they got cheap and watered it down like crazy.

It says 1 drop per gallon is 2 ppm but my bottle was more like 5 drops per gallon is 2 ppm.

That is great but what sucks is they got cheap and watered it down like crazy.

It says 1 drop per gallon is 2 ppm but my bottle was more like 5 drops per gallon is 2 ppm.

I got myself some seeded material from my friends filter and some bacterial supplements too! I'll be sure to update y'all on the tank status soon! Thanks [emoji3]

6.4 PH is quiet low for neos/tiger (assuming since you are using substrate). might want to up that a bit when you're near the end of your cycle!

Okay should I do it artificially or with chemicals? Cos I think the only reason its low is because I'm running pressurised CO2. My tap water is relatively hard at 7.2-7.4

Okay should I do it artificially or with chemicals? Cos I think the only reason its low is because I'm running pressurised CO2. My tap water is relatively hard at 7.2-7.4

Shrimps are not too fond of co2.. I try to never mess with p.h as it can get quiet whacky. My only suggestion is to stop using co2 if you want to continue with shrimps.

Shrimps are not too fond of co2.. I try to never mess with p.h as it can get quiet whacky. My only suggestion is to stop using co2 if you want to continue with shrimps.

Alright. I do kinda think that shrimps are more particular of the pH swing than the co2 but I'll take note.