Cycling Caridina tanks question

So I'm waiting on my tank rack tanks to cycle and I know that it takes longer for tanks with low ph to cycle but how long?

I put dr tims one and only in each of my tanks. In each tank I put the amount that is rated for a 60 gallon tank so a bit overkill but it says you can't overdose it. My ph is the lowest that'll read on an api test kit which is 6 so it may be lower. I added ammonia to make it 3 ppm the first day and it is still at that level. My nitrates are raised a little bit like 5 ppm. I'm just looking for someone that has done a fish less cycle on a low ph tank and how long it took. Hopefully it doesn't take longer than my other two tanks did to fish less cycle which was 4 weeks. Btw my neo tank that I started at the same time I did the same thing to and it's moving faster which I figured. Just growing impatient lol I want to stock my tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an interesting question, I would like to know more about that as well.

The nitrifying bacteria are said to go dormant at pH 6.0, and will start dying off at pH below 6.0. Is it as simple as that ? I know that most ammonia is becoming non-toxic ammonium (which your test kit will also detect most likely), and the bacteria can't feed on that. So let's say I keep my tank at pH 5.5, will different type of bacteria colonize my filter ? I can't imagine there will be none as it would mean I don't have to cycle my tank if I keep the pH that low ?

Ya I don't know I'm curious. I don't want to wait for nothing lol. I am having a small nitrate read now like 5 ppm so I know that something is happening but if it is it's extremely slow.

I'll update as my tanks move along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...