Has anyone else seen this before!

cjh

We lost one of our amano shrimps last week and bought two new baby shrimp. We had one larger shrimp still. The new shrimp seemed to be trying to get out of the tank so I switched off the lights. On switching on the lights the old shrimp seemed to be shielding the smallest new shrimp from out two platy. The next day the old shrimp seemed to be looking after the new ones on the filter..with a protective 'arm' around the smallest! Big shrimp hasn't left the new additions at all!!

The new shrimp seemed to be trying to get out of the tank so I switched off the lights. 

Have not seen this behaviour before, but agree on the above comment as when first introduced to a new tank environment Amanos can be problematic with wanting to escape until they are familiar with their new abode and know their boundaries, especially if they are going into a smaller crowded tank or conditions that are not used to.  Unlike most shrimp they are good climbers and can be persistent.  I try and cover the tank as best as possible for the first couple of days and as you suggest switching the lights off is probably also a good idea.