Undergravel Filters

Good Morning ShrimpSpot!

As I continue down the planning stages of setting up a rack, I have weighed my options for lighting, filtration, air systems, etc. but need your help once again. I am contemplating trying our undergravel filters (UGF), what are some of your favorites and why? I have never used them nor ever thought I would, but certainly a viable option for a rack.

Thank you for your input always.

DETAquarium

Hey Deta I have used undergravel filters with double sponge for the whole tank keeps the tank clear but the air stone clogs and needs to be replaced.

I have used undergravel and divided the tank half bare bottoms and with a undergravel filter also. 

My new setups are going to be just little soil and double sponge or soil and hmf which seems to one of the best ways to setup. I have had success and failure in both setups so can’t really say if it improved breeding or health of the shrimp. 

Cons of undergravel everything collects underneath and if you disturb it a lot will come floating up. Also in one of the tanks where I used JBL shrimp soil the gaps broke in the soil from the filter moving while performing maintaince and shrimp and shrimplets got stuck in and I couldn’t save them. Once a shrimp manages to enter in he will be in the dark zone forever.

Also so if you planning to add pants will be  hard.  

I have used the ugf  setup for the last 10 years with great success.

i use one layer of Powerhouse Soft Type Filter Media on top of the unf and

top it off with a good 3-4 inches of  ada soil.I will usually change out the soil l every 3  years of when you notice the shrimp stop producing.

I hope this helps.

POWER HOUSE SOFT TYPE FILTER MEDIA

I'm using the conventional grid plate UGFs in many of  my shrimps tanks combined with sponges and canisters in the bigger tanks, work great !

The trick for me.. I add two layers of plastic fly gauze one directly on the plate to minimise any substrate granules going though underneath and then another layer above 20mm of volcanic/ larva granules which I have directly above the plate with the ADA or whatever above this. Works a charm.  When I w'change I often do a light gravel vac of the ADA, so the layer of gauze underneath make this very easy and user friendly and prevents the ADA getting mixed with the  larva chips. A couple of times a year  I w'change by siphoning out the gunk underneath the UGF plates thought the up pipes, removing the air stone and pipe first of course.  

pic taken at back of the side of a tank, as can't see the UGF from the front  

IMG_1513.JPG

• 1 month later...

I would use an UGF box, I ordered mine from discobee but you could easy make it yourself. The advantage of doing that way is it is removable. So if it get clogged up or you need to remove the media or soil on top it's very easy. I use that in combination with a matten filter and I've had no filteration trouble.  

• 2 weeks later...