Jump to content

Preferred Metal Rack


Recommended Posts

I am in the market for a rack. I am not experienced in the slightest at making things. I have decided probably to go with one of those metal "garage" type storage racks. I was wondering who out there uses these and if there is a preferred brand that preforms best. I have heard that putting plywood down on the shelf really ensures the tanks are level, so I am considering that. I want to see what you guys think and have experienced. For the record I am looking for something 42-48 inches long, 4 shelves high, and deep enough to hold  ten gallon tanks sideways.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, chappy6107 said:

I use an older version of this one:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/edsal-72-in-H-x-48-in-W-x-24-in-D-5-Tier-Steel-Freestanding-Shelving-Unit/1000527

 

I took the MDF board out and cut some 2x8(2x4 will work too) pieces to take its place and to hold the weight.

That was the front runner of my finding. I cannot tell if there is extra support under the particle board so I have been kind of deterred. Is there crossbeams under the wood on every shelf?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, schleppey said:

That was the front runner of my finding. I cannot tell if there is extra support under the particle board so I have been kind of deterred. Is there crossbeams under the wood on every shelf?

 

No there is not a cross beam under the wood on each shelf.  That is why I took the wood/mdf out and put 2x8's in its place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Edsal-72-in-H-x-48-in-W-x-24-in-D-5-Shelf-Steel-Commercial-Shelving-Unit-in-Black-UR-245WGB/202067997

that's what i have.

it can be made into two 3 foot high selves instead of one six foot.

sixteen 10's with plenty of overhead space.:)

 

i use 2x4's,but you can use a thick plywood if you want.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/22/2017 at 8:43 PM, chappy6107 said:

 

No there is not a cross beam under the wood on each shelf.  That is why I took the wood/mdf out and put 2x8's in its place.

I am planning out my rack and was wondering how you put the 2x8's in place of the particle. Did you lay them on top of the metal framework or did you somehow get them in there where the particle board was. I am trying to make sure I have enough arm room and buy the right tanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/26/2017 at 11:07 PM, schleppey said:

I am planning out my rack and was wondering how you put the 2x8's in place of the particle. Did you lay them on top of the metal framework or did you somehow get them in there where the particle board was. I am trying to make sure I have enough arm room and buy the right tanks.

what zodiac said.  I removed the particle board completely and threw it away.  I cut the 2x8's to the same depth(front to back) as the particle board.  I will take a pic and post it in a few.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/26/2017 at 11:07 PM, schleppey said:

I am planning out my rack and was wondering how you put the 2x8's in place of the particle. Did you lay them on top of the metal framework or did you somehow get them in there where the particle board was. I am trying to make sure I have enough arm room and buy the right tanks.

 excuse the bare tanks as I just swapped out some 20 longs to 10g and have not yet put the substrate in.  also on the lower section i am going to make a second shelf that will hold the canvas totes for storage of foods and extras.  If i finish it up today I will take a full shot and show the rack in the side by side position.

 

 

IMAG1833.jpg

IMAG1834.jpg

IMAG1835.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...