Jump to content

ADA 60p PRL Shrimp Tank


Memphis118
 Share

Recommended Posts

This is my first low tech tank that I've done that wasn't using Co2, hopefully all goes well.

 

Equipment:
Tank: ADA 60p (17 gallons)
Filter: Eheim 2215 with Lily Pipe return and inflow
Heater: Hydor 200 watt inline heater
Substrate: 8L SL-Aqua Nature Soil
Lights: Twinsar 600e with Dimmer
Complete Apex monitoring system

 

Parameters

PH: 5.8-6 
Temp: 69-70 f
KH: 0-1
GH: 4
TDS: 81 (still cycling I will up this before shrimps get in)

 

Plants:

Christmas Moss

Flame Moss

Staurogyne repens

Fissidens fontanus (coming soon)

 

So far everything has been quite stable, and just waiting for the cycling to finish before I add some PRL Shrimp in this tank. 

 

20171222_192014.jpg

20171222_220420.jpg

20171223_154449.jpg

20171223_160907.jpg

20171227_162144.jpg

apex.PNG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very nice.  A couple things I would be careful of.  5.8 PH is on the very low end.  That SL Aqua should buffer the tank to between 6.2 to 6.4.   I have mine in at 6.3.  Also do not worry about upping the tds.  Mine are in tds of between 90-110 and are absolutely thriving.  I see absolutely no need to raise the tds, my PRL are very happy with low tds.  The tds of the water I add to the tank is 80.  Temp should be fine but I find that the closer to 72-73 the more active they are and more breeding.  When at 69-70 that I had them in for a bit they were not very active and not wanting to breed much.  Now after just having my PRL for 3 months I now have 4 berried and it seems every other day another one is getting berried out of my 14 that I have.  Very nice scape btw.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the information! As far as the PH goes, I believe online it says that the soil buffers from 5.8 to 6.0 (correct me if I am wrong) in terms of 5.8, I don't think I have anything that is lowering the PH except for the soil.

 

Temperature wise, I thought that 69-70 would be a good range, but I can easily up that to 72-73! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Memphis118 said:

Thanks for the information! As far as the PH goes, I believe online it says that the soil buffers from 5.8 to 6.0 (correct me if I am wrong) in terms of 5.8, I don't think I have anything that is lowering the PH except for the soil.

 

Temperature wise, I thought that 69-70 would be a good range, but I can easily up that to 72-73! 

Think I saw somewhere where it said 6.2-6.4.  Reading a thread posted by discobee though they said it buffers from 5.8-6.0 and the same even after a year so you are right.  I will know soon as I am setting up a new tank with the same stuff.  My others I am using Controsoil and that buffers 6.2-6.4.  Should be fine with 5.8 as obviously they(discobee) use it for their shrimp and have great results.  Was going off their site as far as what optimal parameters are and they mention 5.8-6.4 so just on the low end of that for PRL.  https://www.discobee.com/blogs/news/17030569-dwarf-shrimp-water-parameters

 

Actually just PH tested my PRL Controsoil tank and its at 6.4.  They are seriously breeding like rabbits.  I have only had them for three months and they were tiny but now full grown and 4 out of the 8 females are berried.  If you have not I HIGHLY recommend the Lowkeys Doublespeed.  That stuff stays true to its name as they grew like fast from babies to adults and breeding.  I also use the Bacter AE as well with great results.  Another one which I alternate with Bacter AE is Shrimp King Biotase active.  

 

First two pics is them exactly 2 months ago.  

xhLLZHg.jpg

ZolPJJq.jpg

Last two pics is them 1 week ago.

hHmQAif.jpg

YGvqlBD.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great start Memphis! Looks great, I need to look into that Apex monitoring system!

 

As far as PH goes, most of my tanks reside in the 5's, so don't sweat it to much. Sometimes we get so bogged down on the .01 difference because someone references that where they MUST be when in fact most of these shrimp are quite resilient and as long as they are acclimated accordingly will adjust quite well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/28/2017 at 5:40 AM, DETAquarium said:

Great start Memphis! Looks great, I need to look into that Apex monitoring system!

 

As far as PH goes, most of my tanks reside in the 5's, so don't sweat it to much. Sometimes we get so bogged down on the .01 difference because someone references that where they MUST be when in fact most of these shrimp are quite resilient and as long as they are acclimated accordingly will adjust quite well.

 

Thanks man. 

 

Apex system is great, I use to use it for my reef tank, but since I tore that down, this was perfect. All my timers, temp monitoring, PH, etc, all in one spot, and can be monitored from any web browser. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Memphis118 changed the title to ADA 60p PRL Shrimp Tank

Time to add some shrimp! 

 

@DETAquarium Thanks for the recommendation! I ended up getting 12x Ellen Wang PRL E2 Crystal Red Shrimps.

 

 

Convenient for me, since Joe, who I got it from, lives about 5 minutes from me, so I was able to drive and pick these guys up. Fingers crossed these guys stay alive and thrive! 

20180102_113439.jpg

20180102_113455.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@zenster Thanks! I had to move the E2's to another tank for now. When I was initially testing the tank, it said everything was perfect, then I realized my test kit was reading incorrectly, so it seems my cycle still had .50 ammonia in it.

 

Currently the E2's are fine, and I am just waiting for this system to finish cycling. I am on the 3rd/4th week using SL'Aqua soil. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/27/2017 at 4:40 PM, ClownPlanted said:

Very nice.  A couple things I would be careful of.  5.8 PH is on the very low end.  That SL Aqua should buffer the tank to between 6.2 to 6.4.   I have mine in at 6.3.  Also do not worry about upping the tds.  Mine are in tds of between 90-110 and are absolutely thriving.  I see absolutely no need to raise the tds, my PRL are very happy with low tds.  The tds of the water I add to the tank is 80.  Temp should be fine but I find that the closer to 72-73 the more active they are and more breeding.  When at 69-70 that I had them in for a bit they were not very active and not wanting to breed much.  Now after just having my PRL for 3 months I now have 4 berried and it seems every other day another one is getting berried out of my 14 that I have.  Very nice scape btw.

 

When you were cycling your tank with SL aqua soil, and PH around 6.2 ish, how long did it take you to complete your cycle? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/10/2018 at 4:53 PM, zenster said:

Wished I had used SL Aqua soil instead.  My ADA soil after 5 weeks of cycling is buffering the pH at 4.75!  Don't know what I'm going to do.

 

Looking forward to see how your E2's look after you put them into your 60P.  

 

 

 

How's your cycle going? I am on my 3rd week, and still see 1ppm ammonia with no nitrite 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Mishiri said:

 

How's your cycle going? I am on my 3rd week, and still see 1ppm ammonia with no nitrite 

With my pH at 4.75 I'm pretty sure my cycle has stalled or may have never started at all.  There is still a bit of ammonia leaching (0.25 ppm) from the ADA soil and I haven't done a water change in over a week.  Whatever ammonia in there will turn to ammonium anyways which apparently is safe for shrimp.  I'm going to put some more moss in the tank to see if that will help take the NH4+ levels down to zero.  One good thing out of this is that I won't have to worry about ammonia, nitrites and nitrates as long as my ADA soil keeps the water buffered below a pH of 6.  My plan is to put PRL's in there so the low pH environment works out well for everything including the mosses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Mishiri said:

 

How's your cycle going? I am on my 3rd week, and still see 1ppm ammonia with no nitrite 

Been going for a few months.  0 Ammonia and am getting between 6.1 to 6.2 PH buffering.  Really like this SL Aqua.  I am using about 2.5" deep of substrate.  Trick to getting the cycle going is use tap water.  Once you see it going then go back to RO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, ClownPlanted said:

Been going for a few months.  0 Ammonia and am getting between 6.1 to 6.2 PH buffering.  Really like this SL Aqua.  I am using about 2.5" deep of substrate.  Trick to getting the cycle going is use tap water.  Once you see it going then go back to RO.

 

 

Oh? How long did you use tap water for? Wouldn't the substrate just bring the PH back down within a day?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Mishiri said:

 

 

Oh? How long did you use tap water for? Wouldn't the substrate just bring the PH back down within a day?

I just used tap water twice the first week.  I think it has to do with the PH being higher for a short time along with other nutrients in the water that tap gives that RO does not.  Yes you are right it would go back down in a day or so but it seems it is enough time to get the BB going.  At least in my experience.  Once the BB gets going you can go back to Remineralized RO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ClownPlanted said:

I just used tap water twice the first week.  I think it has to do with the PH being higher for a short time along with other nutrients in the water that tap gives that RO does not.  Yes you are right it would go back down in a day or so but it seems it is enough time to get the BB going.  At least in my experience.  Once the BB gets going you can go back to Remineralized RO.

 

I will def. try it out! Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2018 at 3:28 PM, ClownPlanted said:

Been going for a few months.  0 Ammonia and am getting between 6.1 to 6.2 PH buffering.  Really like this SL Aqua.  I am using about 2.5" deep of substrate.  Trick to getting the cycle going is use tap water.  Once you see it going then go back to RO.

 

My tank looks like it finished up cycling and PH stabilized around 6.3 / 6.4 ( as you mentioned above). For your PRLs, which lineage are you breeding? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Memphis118 said:

 

My tank looks like it finished up cycling and PH stabilized around 6.3 / 6.4 ( as you mentioned above). For your PRLs, which lineage are you breeding? 

Excellent.  So you used some tap water to get the cycle going?  As far as I know I have the Benibachi which I was given by a good friend.  I am not 100% for sure though.  Is there a for sure way to tell?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ClownPlanted said:

Excellent.  So you used some tap water to get the cycle going?  As far as I know I have the Benibachi which I was given by a good friend.  I am not 100% for sure though.  Is there a for sure way to tell?

 

I actually took the others advice and used some media from my friends tank, and I believe that might have helped push the cycle faster. As far as seeing lineage... Not sure if there is a real way to determine whats what. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...